Goblin Works MX5

Ahhh yes sorry assumed was that one. Was Helen’s red one, yeah

1 Like

Yep, hers was a basket case. Had new sills and rails now but being done as a track car

1 Like

Hi Cazyp,
I liked the mods, which were not too extreme.
What were the suspension changes, any brake upgrades and how does it drive now?
Did they need to do much tuning on the rolling road?
Did they add any gauges for boost pressure & air/fuel ratio?
Enjoy driving your lovely MX5 and I hope I see you at a show.
George

1 Like

Possibly the best show of this series so far. It also shows how little £10k can go on modding a car !

1 Like

Hi, thanks there was a fair bit of discussion about mods behind the scenes with the producers wanting full on body kits etc and the presenters, especially Ant recognising that it’s now an appreciating classic and only wanting to do things that were easily reversible in the future. Hence just the bumper was changed and everything that was removed was returned on pallets with the car.,It’s fair to say I had prior warning of the show’s intentions before hand re the mods and wrap.
Before I knew about the show I had just fitted a full new 1.8 brake upgrade all round for an MoT as it had been SORN’d for a while.
The shocks they fitted are meister Sportives but never made it to the show as the garage fitted them overnight so it wasn’t filmed.
It had a full tune at Mtec on their rolling road. They didn’t fit any gauges but I can retro fit but I’m not too bothered at the mo. They also fitted a full custom made stainless exhaust which comes in just under the track decibel levels :+1:t2:
It drives very nicely now, smooth boost power that feels more like a v8 torque curve under 4000rpm.
I think it’s fair to say regardless of whether people like the show/presenters that they have a hard job fighting the production teams ideas. The style bar they all hated but the producers wouldn’t budge and was removed pretty quickly after filming :joy:

1 Like

Thanks, yes, just the Mtec conversion alone with the full kit/clutch and exhaust ate up almost half the budget. Wraps aren’t cheap either and the presenters really wanted to do a full repaint but the producers said no.

Hi Cazyp,
Sorry for my ignorance on such matters and understand if you choose not to respond, but does the production company pay for the work and is there a claw back if you sell the car on ?
I don’t watch these shows but often wonder if house/car/garden refurb programs have clauses to prevent sale or recover costs.

1 Like

Hi
The production company covers all costs of including any out of pocket expenses. There is no clause re selling the car, only about not posting details of the build and show online before the first airing of the show (which was a few months ago on discovery +)
They also rectify any faults or issues after the car is returned, for example my bumper needed to be re wrapped and it’s inspected and Mot’d by an independent garage before return and any issues repaired.
I believe it’s the same for shows like Wheeler Dealers, car SOS etc as they’re all part of the same production group (in fact the workshop where the car was dropped off had some of the old Wheeler Dealer set inside.)

1 Like

I was hoping it would be a restoration programme but guess I should have known by the show name Goblin Works Mod shop…my bad.

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks for the inside info and for being so open.
Guess I’m going to start touting my car, house, garden, ageing body :crazy_face:around production companies and see who will restore me :+1:
Hope you enjoy your 5 for many years.
D

1 Like

They did a nice job. Those two cars they brought on half way through were ugly though. The MR2 looked horrible and that poor S2000! My son had an S2000 and as it stood, unmolested, it was a thing of real beauty. Everyone to his own I suppose.

1 Like

Yep definitely. Was happy for them to do mine though and still have the original bits for when it has a full resto paint etc in the future.

:joy: no problem, I know lots of people will hate what they did but the way I look at it is it saved me turboing her and the wrap comes off :man_shrugging: the paint was 30 years old with lacquer peel anyway.

Yes although the engine in the mr2 was very nice… preferred the spitfire though!

Out of interest, did you change the gearstick? Not impressed with extra long gearstick’s personally

Yes my old one is back on, didn’t like the long one and neither did Ant :joy:

1 Like

The car turned out OK, but not very impressed with the programme. Way too much time spent talking about what they were going to do, but not showing much of the work.

3 Likes

I thought this, around 38 mins in (including ads) before any real work was shown on the car. Other shows like this have had to adapt to the times but the shows are getting trimmed down all the time, I suppose budgets and stuff like that dictate this.

It’s utter rubbish that program :+1::+1: