Goodwood race circuit track day?

Hello all.
As I watch this autumn’s Goodwood revival meeting I can’t help wondering if the OC has ever organised an event at Goodwood?
Cheers,
Guy

Yep, a track day on the Goodwood circuit was part of the national rally in about 2004. And we had a spring rally and a parade lap more recently…

2 Likes

Thanks Martin.
Is it something that is likely to happen again?
Personally I would be very interested in driving a few laps of Goodwood in my MX-5 :star_struck:

1 Like

Going to need a few more folks, than just you on a few laps to cover it :joy:

1 Like

Shall we start a list? :smile:

I’m in :+1:

1 Like

I did a track day in late 80s with TSSC. Most cars survived the day, but not all, at least one freshly restored GT6 was written off at its first corner. St Mary’s is a right handful, passenger ing in a friends car we spun after hooking the ditch, and had to wait a few seconds to wait for the tyre smoke to clear before working out which way!

All I can remember is it’s a long track and as fast as Thruxton! Between closure (1967?) and the Revival etc it was only available a few days a year for testing and trials etc. The pits were just about still there, not quite derelict but nothing like the shiny buildings you see today.

I wouldn’t do it to my ND. My Spitty was cheap enough to lose, though it actually kept going for another 3 years till I sold it! Having seen the YouTube of the newish ND destroyed at Combe the other day, I think track days are like share dealing, only to be done if you can afford to lose the lot!

1 Like

I did an Open Track day at Goodwood back in May. I’m in.

1 Like

In the 70’s, I was into Triumph TR’s. The TR Register used to organise a sprint day at Goodwood once a year. As I recall, all you needed was to bring your TR, plus a crash helmet. Not sure if things like remote kill switches were required, I think not. Cars would line up 4 wide at the starting grid. The starter would send each car off at, I think 15 second intervals. No racing, but each was timed, and there was a competitive element. As I recall, it was early May time each year, with still a rather chilly wind sweeping across the area. I wasn’t particularly interested in doing the sprints, but it was always a great Sunday out.

1 Like

That’s interesting. I wonder how often open track days get organised :thinking:

Next one is 25th October.Just incase I’ve confused anyone, it’s through www.opentrack.co.uk

1 Like

Anyone at Snetterton on 3rd October?

Thanks for the heads-up Lewigie. Probably a bit late in the season for me this year but would love to do a day in summer '23.
On these open track days, are there any stipulations regarding roll bars, cages etc or can stock road cars take part?
My -5 is a slow old girl and all I’d be up for was a gentle bimble and possibly some photos of her on circuit.
Not really bothered about lap times. :grinning:

Slow, stock road cars (like me) take part, as do race prepared exotica. Only noise restrictions apply.
In May, it even included tuition and a nice lunch.
Also, if I’m not mistaken, I’m sure someone was doing a MX5 only day at Donington in November.

1 Like

It’s December 11th booked through Mazda on Track.
I did Donington in a 30-y-o stock 1.6 Eunos pulling no more than 114 BHP and on track with other cars three times as powerful. Cornered fine but struggled from The Old Hairpin up to McLeans.

1 Like

I did a few track days at Goodwood and elsewhere 1990 ish in a quick Caterham. Great fun but you really needed special tyres as it ate the standard road tyres. A good lap time at Goodwood was about 1 minute 45 seconds I seem to remember, I imagine a standard ND would take about ten seconds more . Some of the Caterhams were terrifyingly fast.

I wouldn’t mind buying a tatty but modded NC just for track use.