Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ND2 RF
  2. I’m based near: __Sheffield

After much pondering I have fitted a set of the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 tyres to my RF and thought I would just pass on my initial impressions.
There are a couple of videos on YouTube about these tyres and they were very influential in my choice. I also had a set of Eagle F1s fitted to my NC and found them to be an excellent tyre.
I opted for 215 section rather than the original 205s partly because I took a peek at Rodders’ ND and it has got 215s on, nuf said.
The Goodyears are exceptionally quiet compared to the original Bridgestones. 69Db according to the spec sheet. This was a major consideration because, with the roof up on the motorway the cabin noise was quite bad. Not anymore!
I haven’t pushed the tyres too hard yet as I like to break them in gently, however, the steering is sharp, the ride is slightly harder and the wet grip is reassuring. All good so far.
In the tyre test the Goodyears came out equal top with the new Michelin PS5. The strengths of the Goodyears were in areas that were important to me (wet grip, noise, steering) compared to the Michelins. They were also on offer at a tempting price from Asdatyres.
The Goodyears make a good choice for the ND (especially the RF) and should figure on your list of possible tyre replacements.

3 Likes

I have four going on tomorrow to replace my Assym5s. Look to be better on paper than the 5s on noise, grip, wet grip and fuel efficiency. And I loved the 5s…

1 Like

I don’t think you will be disappointed and I’d be interested in how you find them. I’ve got a big trip to Spain and Portugal in the summer and I’m hoping to give them a good workout.

1 Like

I’ve just done exactly the same for my BBR tuned RF. Driving home from the tyre fitters I thought the steering felt weird and the ride was awful. I checked the pressures when I got home - they were all at 40psi…!!! Having lowered them to 29psi it feels as it should. This led me to wonder what pressure do you run them at - same as the original 205s (2.0bar/29psi)?

Yes, 29psi.

Thanks - it has certainly felt good so far. Nice and responsive and definitely more grip.

FWIW I find my ND on PS5s handles noticeably better at 25psi than 29psi. Dropped the pressure a bit for track time on Silverstone at Japfest and noticed my car was a lot better handling on the road afterwards.

Can imagine it impacts mpg by a small margin, but I’d take the more enjoyable drive any day.

Intersting… i reckon my NC is better on slightly lower pressure as well, just feels wrong only running on 26 (cold). I also wondered if my gauge was wrong, showing 26 when it was really higher.

Mine seems to want to be at 26.

I’ll put in 29 first thing in the morning in the garage, use it and a few days later if I check before the next run it’s exactly 26 all round. Leave it alone and it’s still 26 before the next run, and the next. Two different technology gauges agree on the readings. It has always been like this since I bought the car, across two different sets of tyres.
Very strange, almost spooky.

But I still put in 29 before a major outing.