Goodyear vs Michelin?

I’m going to need new tyres for my ND (205/45/17) in a few weeks, and wanted thoughts on Goodyear Eagle F1 Ays 6 (which is what I have on at the moment) vs Michelin PS5s.

Mostly for road driving (including probably the NC500 in September) but a few track days too.

1 Like

When it comes to a tire that can handle both road driving and track days, the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 and Michelin Pilot Sport 5 are solid options. The Eagle F1 offers responsive handling and good wet weather performance, while the Pilot Sport 5 provides a comfortable ride with excellent dry grip. Consider your priorities - whether you value track performance or longevity and comfort - when making your choice.

The Michelin will last longer, cost more and, if compared back to back, would feel a bit woolly against the Goodyear. Has a sexy sidewall though, if that is your thing.

1 Like

Also consider 215/45 which are cheaper, fit the rim better and make the speedo a bit more accurate in my experience.

2 Likes

If you have GoodYear AS6 already on the ND, 1) what is it about them you are considering getting a new tyre completely? and 2) other people’s opinions of the AS6 will be moot for you…as you already have them, and I presume have done X amount of thousands of miles in them, and you are probably more informed of that tyre on the ND than 95% of other people lol

From my experience of the new PS5 on a FRONT WHEEL DRIVE car with ~ 215hp (yes, totally different to an ND before anyone shouts you can’t compare (I know you can’t)), I’ve been a bit disappointed with them, and they are certainty not (imo) a clear evolutionary better tyre than the prior PS4. Not as grippy, not as good in the wet, and maybe a bit noisier than the PS4 I was used to prior, and done 3 tyre changes with (they are a bit better imo in a few other areas though). Even my Mrs earlier in the week, who drives this FWD car about once a week, and is hardly ‘into’ cars said ‘I think I preferred those other tyres you used to by for it’!

The question I would aks is what is it about the AS6 that you’re considering migrating from? That, with your experience of them on the ND (which most haven’t had) will be helpful to others.

2 Likes

Depends how you drive IMHO. If you don’t go near the limits of your car then both are good tyres so I would choose based on price/personal preference. If it isn’t broken with the Goodyears then it doesn’t need fixing… However, I’ve been advised in the past that the Goodyears have better wet weather grip but slightly poorer dry grip (vs. the Michelins). For that reason, I run Goodyears. I’d rather reduce the chance of me binning it in the wet than gain a tiny bit more cornering speed in the dry.

2 Likes

That’s interesting (apologies for taking this off topic) - what car are you referring to? I’ve just bought a Kona N and it’s putting 276hp through the front wheels. Previous owner changed the factory Pirellis for Uniroyal Rainsports up front and when it comes time for me to change I was considering PS5 all round. PM me if you want…

1 Like

Goodyear AS6 seems to beat the PS5 in the dry all round

(just one review, granted)

Interesting - the advice I was given was probably based on Asy 5 vs PS4 and given they look closely matched in that review, perhaps things have shifted slightly with the evolution of the tyres. Or the advice was poor (wouldn’t surprise me!).

1 Like

PM’d as not to go off topic for the OP

1 Like

I have the Goodyear as6 in a 215 on my nc and so far love them. Have about 400 miles on them now and they are better than when they first went on.

1 Like

I found the PS4 marginally better than the AS5 but not enough to justify the price difference. I now run AS6 which is definitely better than the AS5, but never tried the PS5. Most of these were 215/45 on my 2.0 ND.

1 Like

Changed to PS5 on mine, no complaints from me, good in the wet and grippy in the dry …was on the original Bridgestones though so its not a high bar to beat !

1 Like

Thanks all - really appreciate the thoughts.

I replaced the Bridgestones that were on my car when I got it (as I really didn’t like them) and changed them for the AS6 (which I had used on my 2 fwd TTs before that (AS5 and then AS6). I’ve always liked them, found them grippy and they are good in the rain (although they’re not that happy on standing water).

The question is because while I have always liked the AS6, I’ve had a few people tell me that I should run on PS5 as they are “the best MX-5 tyre” - and so I was wondering if I was missing something and I’d get something better from the PS5. Your comments have made me think that on the whole I’m better sticking with what I know and already like!

2 Likes

Not really answering your question, but worth checking out this youtuber/video then making your purchasing decisions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t10y-87oiD4&list=PLA_nKXy9lI0dM8uaxd06YQ6k3ncjSfd5D&index=19&ab_channel=TyreReviews

I went for the Continental SportContact 7’s after watching, for my ND. If that helps?

Well, not really as most of those tyres won’t come in MX-5 sizes.

There is a lot of “what is the best tyre for…” All tyres have different attributes, some differences are very subtle others are much bigger, and also vary day by day because of all sorts of factors. Until you take a tyre to its limit and beyond you don’t know what that limit is and even if it is important to you. Most never get to the limit of a tyre. With all the plethora of different requirements and attributes the only real thing you can say about a tyre is if it is suitable for your requirement, “best” therefore is a really variable term.

5 Likes

I agree with what NickD said above that ‘best’ is a very variable term. Couldn’t say it better so i won’t.

And that’s coming from someone who is soon to by the OEM Potenza S001s again as I like them :slight_smile:
For the OP, Carolyn, I would also stick with the AS6 based on your remarks. If you like the AS6 (as I like the S001s), the grass is always greener is sometimes a hard game to play.

This may be of interest

Michelin CrossClimate 2 Is No Longer The King Of All-Season Tyres

1 Like

I think the OP was asking to compare two UHP summer tyres, not all seasons.
Mind you, that is an interesting video, with the Cross Climate2 knocked off the top position (in the reviewer’s opinion). I’ve actually got those on a NISSAN Elgrand (which actually is RWD). They seem (the XL 102 rated all seasons) a bit ‘stiff’, kind of like Falkens I used to have on some car years ago. But given I’ve never tried the van with anything else, it could be the van itself.

You know I’m so tempted: I need 4 tyres soon and right now the Goodyear AS6 are currently on 10% off on Blackcircles (I get them from there and have them fitted by a guy I trust).
I’m not changing tyre size, and they are 205/45/17 88W XL

…But I’ve been happy enough with the OEM Potenzas and have/are all-in for them again, which of course are 84W and no XL stuff. And I’m always wary of the grass really being greener :evergreen_tree:

Decisions, decisions :thinking: