Got a question with suspension (MeisterR or Not), let me know.

Hello everyone,

I have been made aware that sometime there are questions that pop up here at the MX5OC regarding MeisterR that goes unanswered.

As I am not an official trader on the owners club, I at least want to make a place that i am able to help answer any questions that members may have.

So if anyone have questions, just let know. I’ll be more than happy to help.

If you have a questions that isn’t regarding MeisterR, let me know also; I’ll be happy to help to the best my ability.  

Jerrick

Hello bud,

I have your latest Meister R fitted to my BBR Turbo MK3 and am very happy with there performance overall… FAR better ride than the standard Bilstiens…

My question is regarding damper settings… I current run 10 clicks from soft on the front and 8 clicks from soft on the rear… would you say that correct for a fast road set up ??

I know its a bit subjective but wanted your opinion

Regards Dave

HI there, can you tell me what the difference is between the CRD and CRD+. 

Ta

Hi I just fitted MeisterR, how do get the exact same heights left to right?

Just fitted CRD’s to my 2013 venture 2 litre. I wanted to set ride height to the 345 front, 350 rear which i believe is a good setting for the PRHT cars. I had to adjust the lower height collar settings from their out of the box measurements.  Straight from the box the distance between the bottom of the spring locking collar and the top of the height adjustment locking collar was as follows:

Front  68 mm

Rear     8 mm

I adjusted these to get the ride heights above to :

Front   90 mm

Rear    32 mm

This leaves approx 54 mm of threaded shock stem inside the lower mounting tube at the front ( plenty ) but only 25 mm ( minimum recommended ) at the rear.

As i dont have a vehicle lift and was working on jack stands i used a jack under the lower arm to raise the corner i was working on to simulate vehicle weight prior to final tightening the suspension bolts. I put a tape measure from the lip of the hub above the axle nut to the wheel arch to make sure both sides were the same  in full droop travel and jacked up at the tightening position.

Very happy with the results. The car steers and handles great even before having the alignment rechecked and the ride is firm but compliant.

When adjusting damping, always start from full stiff and adjust toward soft.

The reason for that is because the full stiff position is the most consistent, as the internal valve are fully shut.

My normal suggested baseline is -15 clicks front, -20 clicks rear.

But as you say, damping is subjective so there really isn’t a correct “best” setting.
Especially for fast road use because you are balancing ride comfort vs. steering response, so it depends on what you like.

I know quite a few members adjust to around your setting, so it doesn’t seems out of the world.

The long as the car feel nice to you and not “wobbly” after hitting bumps, you are pretty good.

Jerrick

For the MX-5, the main difference is the springs rate and the damper valving.

ZetaCRD are design for fast road & track use, they focus on compliancy and are design to work with road compound tyres.

ZetaCRD+ are design for fast road & track use, they focus on damping response and are design to work with semi-slick.

The ZetaCRD+ also come with spherical bearing front top mount for better steering feedback.

However, there is no camber adjustment as the MX5 use a double wishbone suspension design, so the camber are adjusted via the upper control arms.

Jerrick

There are a few way, you can adjust the lower bracket or adjust the springs pre-load.

The main thing is to figure out what is the cause of the ride height difference.

The MX5 are known to sit a bit wonky (even on standard suspension), the long as the difference isn’t huge, you can even the ride height using the lower bracket.

What you don’t want to have is a big difference between travel across the axle.

One thing also to look out for is to make sure the control arms bush are not under tension.

Because I have seen car sit 1" higher just because they didn’t not re-torque the control arm bush at the new static ride height.

Jerrick

That is perfectly fine, the long as you have the minimum recommended thread in the rear, you are fine.

The biggest issue with the NC is the rear suspension is very limited.

That is why the ZetaCRD and ZetaCRD+ actually have different length rear damper for the NC.

The ZetaCRD have longer damper to allow higher ride height adjustment for ground clearance needed for a road car.

The ZetaCRD+ have a shorter damper to allow lower ride height setting needed in order to achieve the wanted alignment for a race car.

Great to hear that you are happy with the result.

Jerrick

Hi Jerrick

I use my NC as a daily driver / occasional track and plan to upgrade the Bilsteins before my visit to Mallory in July.  If the spherical bearing top mount gives better steering feedback, why not offer it on the CRD?  Us road /occasional track users want better steering response too!

Cheers

Spherical bearing also add NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness).

For a car that is going to be daily driven, the rubber bush give better compliancy over the small vibration that you get on road surfaces all the time.

This mean you get a better ride especially over those long motorway journey where you just want to go straight.

The ZetaCRD rubber bush are harden, so it isn’t like you will get mushy steering feel with them (you would of hear about it by now if it was).

But even harden rubber still absorb vibration, where metal to metal (spherical bearing) will just transfer everything into the cabin.

For what you are using the car for, I would say the ZetaCRD would be my go to suspension.

Jerrick

Thanks for the explanation Jerrick

Hi Jerrick.

Any recommendations on good garages, who know your product well on the Mk1 setup, who are based in the South Central area pls?

Mark

Hi Jerrick, I was trying to organise some replacement parts with you a couple weeks back but things have gone dark. Nobody answers the phone number and my emails have gone unanswered. Is anyone there??

Their Facebook page is active and updated.

Maybe worth messaging via that?

All resolved now hopefully.

Hi Jerrick

Considering a set of the CRDs for my 2009 Sport Tech Roadster.  What’s the highest ride height they can be set to? 

I want to be able to set them to the factory original ride height (350mm I believe) or just slightly lower as I live down a poorly maintained and heavily cambered private lane, and with both the previous BBR suspension and now the Eibach springs it’s catching the underside far too much.

Thanks

Dave

“MeisterR” hasn’t logged onto the forum for 9 months. Pretty sure he therefore no longer monitors this. Might find him on Miataforum, as his business is more US centric (think at one point he was actually a Californian Realtor, when I brought a set off him, he was selling TV aerials at that time). If you PM him, if he’s still using the email he registered with, he should get a notification (but his inbox might well be full).