GR86 arriving…

Don’t panic! It’s not replacing my Mk2 10AE, and my son has an ND BBR Super 220, so I’ll retain my membership. It’s taking the place of a Golf GTI Performance.
I wondered whether any members have been tempted by the GR86 and how it compared to their MX-5.

That’s exciting! Please share pictures and your thoughts on the car. I’ve considered getting a GT86 a few times, but never drove one in the end. By all accounts the GR86 addressed some of the older car’s shortcomings so it should be good.

I was underwhelmed TBH, Sorry that’s probably not what you wanted to hear. I’ve driven the GT and GR. If it was my money i would go Yaris. The yaris was everything i thought the gr was going to be. The GT felt disconnected and the power delivery was poor and felt very heavy 350z like. The GR felt better to drive and felt more planted but not dialled in.

Had a GT86 as a daily driver for 3 years and loved it (closest thing to my old Porsche 944 that I could find in a modern car). If it had been available as a convertible, I’d still have one.

I can only imagine that the GR86 is even better!

1 Like

I got an email from Toyota if I wanted a GR86 from the 2nd allocation.
I had to let it go because I can’t spend my money on another car now.
But I’m sure I’d have loved it, because
I had a GT86 for a year or so between an Elise and an ND1 2L.
I loved it on track, made me feel like I knew how to drive.
As @Philip said

If it had been available as a convertible, I’d still have one.

The ND1 had left for a BBRd ND2 which I love to bits.
Shame I am putting miles on it as it is my daily.

I also had an invite to buy one at the second allocation. I even paid the £1,000 deposit. But a subsequent test drive (it wasn’t possible to do this earlier) was rather disappointing. Particularly the clutch action, which had a curious “over-centre” feel, making moving off from a standstill awkward. I subsequently found out this is well recognised, and in the US there is even an aftermarket modification available.
So I changed my mind, had my deposit returned, and decided to hang on to my NC Kendo!

I had a 2013 gt86 for 4 years, the bottom end went at 64k miles. Decided then I would run two cars and got a supercharged mk1. I never looked back. Great car, but the engines let them down.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.