Grantham anyone

These are all the NC, with the three different faces.

The Mk3.75 has a similar grille shape to the ND, but the ND has much more angular headlights.

Great post from Darren.
There must be some MX5’s for sale in your area at the bigger dealerships. I wasn’t certain that I could comfortably get in and out of an MX5 (due to age constraints not size) so popped along to a local car supermarket. They only had ND models in but were happy for me to have a play. It was a bit tight but OK, when I found an NC3.75 I found it so much easier than the ND.
Fuel range is very good on mine, better than 'er indoors Polo GTi.
Performance is not stunning but it is a great fun car to drive. Puts a smile on my face every time I get out in it.

2 Likes

Steve. Can I ask how old you are please? I’m 68 and 6’1’’ with a bad back, but I’m still getting one all the same :rofl: :rofl: I’m looking for a bit of fun in truth, it will be my summer and weekend car, we will keep the bigger car now. :dizzy_face: :dizzy_face:

I have had a good drive in a later spec ND2, the difference between the 160bhp and 180bhp engines is noticeable but neither feels all that quick, too linear delivery due to not being force induced. The older engine has more low down grunt and sounds deeper and slightly richer. Rev them hard and the newer 180bhp engine has a bit more grunt, the lighter weight internals allow more revs and power but the result is less torque and higher engine note, it does like to rev more freely.
There really isn’t the world of difference between them. I do find the ND1 will pull from crazy low revs smoothly tho.
Both very capable engines for a small car.

The biggest difference 2019 on (ND2) is the telescopic steering column IMHO. Transforms the drive for me.

ND = 45 litres, NB 50 litres, and IIRC the NC is also 50l. The ND will have the greater range because it is much more economical. I’ve had up to 400 miles from my 1.5, if you’re lead-footed you won’t get that but it’s easy enough to get 45mpg, comfortably 350 miles per tank, and make good progress at the same time.

The 2.0 is slightly less frugal but the comparison with earlier versions stands.

Richard,

I think the white you are referring to is the Ceramic - there is another thread on the forum with pictures. I agree it looks a lot better than the white and looks a really good colour, but I think it was only done for a short period of time.

I ordered my car from the local Mazda garage (Oakmere in Northwich Cheshire) without driving one. I had a Mk1 (NA) which I sold over Christmas and I really like the new ones, but I have never driven one - so it will be interesting to see what it is like. However I am confident it will be great.

I am getting rid of a Golf that I use everyday and this new car will be my only car. However I am working a lot more from home and do not do many miles anymore.

Snelly. I’ve seen the ceramic and like that very much too, but they do a crystal white that looks amazing against the black hood, it would be a extra I’m sure. No the plain white would not be any good for me, colour is very important as you know. I’m keeping my other car. Even though its a 16 plate with 30k on the clock, you just don’t get a decent price, and the wife said, I’ll have it and use the Mazda? Extra cost, but we together only do around 5k a year. I’ve not seen any of the 180bhp ons that Barry mentioned. All the ones I’ve seen are 160bhp?

Barry, I’v not seen any 180bhp only 160bhp on any of the ones I’ve seen even 18/19 plates. Are they a one off only on certain models?

In late 2018 they changed the 2.0 engine from 158bhp to 181 bhp, so from a certain date (not sure exactly when), all 2.0 cars will be the higher power. It was a straight swap so they were not doing lower powered cars at the same time, unless there were a few unregistered cars in the system.

My ND2 2L was registered towards the end of Sept’ 2018, so on a 68 plate - They aren’t that common and prices seem strong… Mine is Ceramic too :slight_smile:

ND has in fact had 4 “facelifts” now, serial numbers 300001, 400001, 500001 & 550001. Task now is to find the dates and changes at each…

Edit…

May 2015 - VIN 100001 onwards production start
November 2017 production onwards - VIN change to 300001-
June 2018 production onwards - VIN change to 400001-
November 2019 production onwards - VIN change to 500001-
November 2020 production onwards - VN change to 550001-

I’ve put a post in the Technical Area with this information and will update the details as and when I find the information.

There was also a change for new cars for 2021, as mine (arriving Mar 1st) will now come with wireless Apple Car play - does this constitute a new serial number?

Ah, watch out for your iPhone battery state of charge on a long run, you may need to have it on a charge lead in any case.

Thanks - I know that the only time my iphone gets charged now is when I plug it into the car…so I will probably still plug it in.

Remind me again - what is a “long run”? must be a year since I did one of those!!!

1 Like

I’d guess it’ll be a November 2020 production car, 550001 onwards serial number. Takes about 3 months from when a Mazda leaves the factory for it to arrive at a dealership.

Interesting - I ordered it in mid-Dec and was told that because I wanted the lowered suspension and sports exhaust that it would be a factor order - ie it would be built “especially”. However I thought that the suspension and exhaust were fitted at the dealer? If that is the case, I will definitely be taking it for a suspension alignment check, as I do not trust that it will be perfect. Blink Motorsport are a couple of miles away, so I will get it booked in there.

I know that the wireless apple car play was not added until Jan shipment cars? Not that I need it, but would it have been built in Nov?

Anyway, I just want it soon!!!

I’m in Bourne if you want to pop down and sit in an NC. I’m over 6ft and fit fine, I don’t even have the seat all the way back.

Thats generous of you Wardy. I tried to book a look in at Lincoln, but they said no?

I’m around at the weekend if you could spare me a few minutes just to look and sit in please?

I’m in Grantham, so you’re not so far away for quick visit, again it would really help me?

Snelly, have they given you a date?

I rang them earlier in the week and thy are still working towards 1st March, but they will know more next week…