Great DIY car lift

Hi folks,

My brother’s father-in-law (I guess that just makes him a friend, not a relation!) has invented a rather natty car lift. It was demoed at a recent MX5 event. I apologise if this is not the right forum for this, but if you’re interested, go to:

http://www.carlift-ramp-mr1.com/

It’s not cheap - if I could afford one, I’d be able to get to my bent engine under tray… As it is, I’ll need to go to a garage. Can’t get my jack under there.

Martin

BRG 1993 Mk1 Eunos Roadster. Work-in-progress :slight_smile:

Great idea

Think these are a great idea - if the principle of these and the practicality of the above ramps were combined it would be pretty handy.

Or there`s the Dr. Eunos methodWink:

1 Like

Liking the idea a lot, are they available to buy?

Folks,

Yes, they are available to buy. Mike says (2/3 down the web page):

"The present MR1 costs a very competitive £795 + delivery + VAT.

To buy it please click the Contact Us button above and give your postal address and delivery address (if different). You also have the option of collecting the MR1 from Stansted, Essex, UK. When we’ve received your information we’ll send you an order form with a fixed total price and estimated delivery/collection date."

If you can’t find the link, use this:

http://www.carlift-ramp-mr1.com/contact-us.php

Martin

There are quite a few variations on this theme (which makes me think the inventor is unlikely to be granted a patent, because it will probably fail the inventiveness test, anyhow, maintaining a patent is hideously expensive, and sales of this are unlikely to cover that cost).

http://www.restorationramps.co.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/ramps?opendocument&part=2

All good ideas, but for those with narrow garages, where are you meant to store the thing when not in use? Think I’d still prefer a pit, one day, venitlation and house survey considerations aside.

They guys brought along a version to our recent Eastern Region Tech day for a demo, and so we could use it for the day, and as it turned out it enabled them to identify some refinements to the design needed once they realised that a lot of MX-5s have been lowered and so the clearances they had worked on based on standard cars didn’t really apply.  I got my Roadster on but did scrape pff some off their nice new paint in the process. I thought it was a good bit of kit for the keen diy mechanic and I wish them well with it. It has now beem modified to give some extra clearance to the section where you stick the trolley jack under, and the jacking beam has been made removable as well I think to impove access.  

Although I see you are using chocks, the designers must incorporate a chocking system into the design, or at the very least, visual warning labels on the ramp warning that the car must be chocked prior to lowering. I’m sure the instructions include that warning, but thats not good enough.

I can see the logic of the design but if you are going to do this then surely raising the car to waist height would be better, putting it up a foot in the air still means you are working on your back inder the front or rear and on your knees for suspension etc.

Just being able to get underneath is a help and this looks pretty good. I hope the jack is rated to allow for the gross weight of the car and ramps.

A friend of mine has one of these (see saw car ramp)or similar which is another option. http://www.carstages.co.uk/  Designed for display purposes but works well I guess.

I’ve just bought the Sealey car lift. Happy so far although you don’t have full access underneath but the tilting option helps greatly.

2 Likes

Looks good, purchased from where?

ebay £500

Denis Wilson @ Glenavy…Sealey main stockist.

1 Like

Might call in and have word, do fancy that lift,

Looks good - Im toying with the idea of doing the undersealing myself and this looks ideal together with other bits and bobs of maintenance - I need to get my launch as shiny as yours and as for the garage I have no chance :slight_smile:

1 Like

These are brill and only cost about a ton and a half and lift 2 tones very safely!

Got mine 2 years ago and they cost less than £100 then

2 Likes