Great driving roads around Buxton

We will be in Derbyshire next month, just wondering if anybody knows of any good driving routes and places to visit. Thanks in advance.  

Your spoilt for choice really, So many great Roads and places but a favourite of ours is Tideswell village,

Picture postcard with good watering/Eating and interesting Church dubbed Cathedral of the Dales.

The Gliding club up at Great Hucklow is worth visiting either to watch or maybe take a flight.

[quote=Cardinal 1]

Your spoilt for choice really, So many great Roads and places but a favourite of ours is Tideswell village,

Picture postcard with good watering/Eating and interesting Church dubbed Cathedral of the Dales.

The Gliding club up at Great Hucklow is worth visiting either to watch or maybe take a flight.

Thanks thats on the list   

There’s also Snake Pass not too far away.  It’s usually quite busy, but the twists and turns could have been designed for an MX5!

50moh on the snake has reduced the fun of the drive. Take a look at Goyt valley and up to cat & fiddle. Castleton is an interesting place then up Winnats pass. Monsal dale, Ashford in the water it’s endless

1 Like

Check for a road closure on the approach to the gliding club, last time we were up there the road  had slipped and it is still on the move, see https://roadworks.org/

Great views on the road that passes The Barrel Inn at Bretton, nr Eyam

Unfortunatley the Goyt Valley is closed to motor traffic through the summer until the end of September, the minor road taking you through Wildboarclough and Bottom-of-the-Oven, close to the Goyt Valley is worth  driving on. Watch out for average speed on the great driving roads around Buxton

A good round run close to Buxton starts close to The Blue John Cavern, takes in The Winatts Pass, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYwF8OdNPSY
via Castleton (park in the Devils Arse Car Park,http://www.peakcavern.co.uk/ the main one by the TIC is always busy)

Turn into the Vale of Edale by The Old Hall Pub, great views at the top of the steep hill out of Barber Booth / Edale. This brings you back to The Blue John Cavern.

If you to try something different, plan a route taking in The Tunnel nr Wetton Mill https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP8ltA-rMvg   many other videos of the tunnel and the Manifold Valley are on YouTube.

Winnats pass coming down, Castleton.

A view over the Hope valley (gained going up to the top of Winnats pass and turning right and go towards the cavern entrance)

View from Monsal Head, drive up from Ashford-in-the-water on the A6

Cat & Fiddle road, see the speed camera gantry above the truck, 50mph there beware.

That’s me on Froggatt Edge, accessed going from Baslow towards Calver (Curbar Edge) at the Bridge inn.

I’ve got many more places that you can visit, sure many more members will chip in with their favourites. All depends of course what your pleasures are, just driving, seeing the sights, country homes, castles, gardens or just enjoying our beautiful county. We enjoy most I’ve mentioned but most of all we enjoy the drive there in the MX-5 as tops.

[quote=MickAP]

Winnats pass coming down, Castleton.

A view over the Hope valley (gained going up to the top of Winnats pass and turning right and go towards the cavern entrance)

View from Monsal Head, drive up from Ashford-in-the-water on the A6

Cat & Fiddle road, see the speed camera gantry above the truck, 50mph there beware.

That’s me on Froggatt Edge, accessed going fr

I’ve got many more places that you can visit, sure many more members will chip in with their favourites. All depends of course what your pleasures are, just driving, seeing the sights, country homes, castles, gardens or just enjoying our beautiful county. We enjoy most I’ve mentioned but most of all we enjoy the drive there in the MX-5 as tops.

Thanks for the info, looks like plenty to see and do. It’s  our first visit to the area I don’t think it will be our last.

Lots to do in the area and great driving roads. However avoid the A6, lots of coaches and lorries and it jams up at Matlock and Bakewell.

Can recommend the Manifold Valley. Take the A53 towards Leek across Axe Edge then across to Longnor then onto Hulme End. Then follow the signs for the Manifold Valley through Ecton and Wetton, making sure you go through the tunnel. Then onto to Alstonefield, Hartington and Pilsbury and back via the B roads to Buxton. Suggest going mid week morning as the Manifold Valley is quieter, it is narrow in places but great if you get a clear blast through the tunnel.

In the Manifold Valley if you fancy a scramble you can go up to see Thors Cave. Also call in at the cheese factory in Hartington. Before you get to Hartington you can go down to see Beresford Dale where Isaac Walton used to fish in the River Dove.

A favourite of mine too.

In fact I had an early morning run up Winnats Pass last Friday.  An intellectually challenged bloke in a white Range Rover had been tailgating me for about half a mile before - so, when I got the the bottom of the pass, as there was no traffic ahead I thought I’d have some fun.  He tried to keep up & he nearly lost it on the very first bend as I romped up (safely, I must add) in 3rd gear.  I did allow myself a smug grin!

1 Like

Hi,

The A5012 Newhaven to Cromford is a great road

Just go where the mood takes you, It’s all rather beautiful.

One thing that strikes me from the pictures others have posted, doesn’t matter how nice a view is, it can always be improved with an MX5 in the foreground.

The best road ive found in the area is known as the Strines. Just off the A57 after snake pass, though its a better run the other way from North to South.

it used to be like a cart track apparently but they resurfaced it (tour de france?) and now its as smooth as a race track.  

Hairpins, long and short climbs, fast straights, great views and a decent pub too. 

It was a favourite night rally section in its day when things were less PC

^ This exactly. Although I’ve had it sideways on entry to that tunnel it does get slippery down there.

Well that’s the holiday over. The Peak District what a great place. Fantastic roads, great scenery, picturesque villages and great food.

Would like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread with ideas of things to do and places to go. Didn’t get to all of them so will have to come back here again.

THANKS AGAIN        

Glad you enjoyed your holiday, do come back soon, any help just ask away again.