Great Review of BBR200 NC

3 Likes

Couldn’t listen to that racket for long. :-1:

2 Likes

I’m guessing the car Jay Emm drove had the Super Sport silencer not the Grand Tourer.

He specifically said the rest of the exhaust was standard which surprised me somewhat. If it was standard, I think that rules out a manifold swap in the future, as that was just too much

:worried:

No that car definitely has the Super Sport silencer on it and possibly the mid pipe so it wasn’t totally standard. I have the BBR GT back box and a de-cat iL Motorsport’s manifold but the rest of the exhaust mid section is standard. My car is nowhere near as raspy and loud as the car in the video so I wouldn’t worry about changing the manifold but I would do it in incrementally starting with the manifold so you don’t end up with something you later regret.
Anyway noise aside I thought it was a glowing review for the NC as a whole and for the merits of NA tuning.

4 Likes

Phew!

Good to know.

I didn’t think for one second the rest of the exhaust was standard, but when he said it was, it still didn’t seem right.

Manifold can go back on the Xmas list

:+1:

1 Like

It might depend on which manifold is fitted the 4 branch de cat or cat. I don’t think it makes much difference in power gain, the 4 branch is the answer to more power. The decat might or might not make a difference at MOT time depending on the tester but I think BBR may have their own thoughts.

1 Like

Does anyone with experience of a BBR200 NC2 agree with JayEmm’s euphoric review?

1 Like

I think there was a guy asking why the 185 and the 200 kit are the same price at ÂŁ2154.
I think most people given the option for the same money are going with 200hp?

I spent about £1200 and got 182hp and even though I have had the car over a year I get excited to drive it every time. There’s a person in the comments offering to allow JayEmmOnCars a go in their ND Turbo so hopefully that review is going to be a thing.

2 Likes

The 185 conversion comes with an exhaust, so it really depends if you want a few more ponies (with the cam) or slightly less power with a rorty noise (exhaust) to go with it

You pays your money, you takes your choice :+1:

1 Like

185 has full exhaust, ecu map and filter
200 cams, rear can, i think manifold, filter and ecu. you can check the list of components yourself

I’m going with the 185 with the GT end can for my NC in two weeks time, its a maybe whether I consider fitting cams at a later date. Personally I don’t think its necessary to have over 200 bhp in an mx5 driven on public roads. If I were to use it purely for trackdays yea perhaps I would consider it…

2 Likes

Just watched this video :+1:, I’ve had two NC’s and the NC2 was definitely a better feeling car as he says in the review. Nice to see the BBR200 getting compared to cars of similar price like 986 Boxsters which real people will be comparing on their shortlists. The exhaust raspyness I think was from the gopro right above the exhaust, if you listen to the car in the driveby clips from the roadside there’s no hint of the tinny sound.

Post13

1 Like

We have an NC2 BBR200 in the family and it dont sound like that. Has a throaty burble on tickover but nowhere near the racket coming from that one

1 Like

Ok… i think i can solve the issue with noise.

Jay uses a rear camera to record exhaust system noise and footage. It maybe that he used that sounds recording while he was doing the acceleration scenes.

Another thing BBR has two end boxes, and the GT is the one that actually has some baffling inside. The race one is stupendously loud lol (not sure what they have in the car in the video)

This is how mine sounds like. Pure awesomeness tbh.

Hi All
From my understanding the most restrictive part of the exhaust is the manifold, the 200 has the manifold replaced but keeps the rest of the exhaust as std. This will be what I am looking for. The gains are the manifold, free flow air filter, cams and electronics to make use of the changes

1 Like