Greetings from the Isle of Man!

Howdy folks!

The name’s Mark, I’m in my late 40s, and have recently picked up my first ever MX-5 from a dealership in Lincolnshire. She’s a 2.0 GT Sport Tech in Polymetal Grey (forgive me, I’m not up to speed on the abbreviations / model designations yet) and I’m hoping she’ll be a good touring replacement for the motorcycle I’m getting too fat for, the one my wife won’t get on.

I’ve always wanted a light RWD 2-seater, and with the end of new petrol cars looming on the horizon I decided that this was the one. Turned out to be a pretty good call because I can’t get this stupid grin off my face, despite only getting back a tiny fraction of the £610 I paid for 4 hours UK road tax. Ho-hum, at least the insurance is cheaper on the way to old fartdom.

Not much more to add at this stage - other interests include brewing, shooting, amateur radio, bikes, and a smattering of photography here and there. Maybe catch you further down the road?

Cheers!

14 Likes

Looks very nice. Which dealer did you use? Nunn’s at Cleethorpes is the one I use. Not the closest to me but worth a bit longer trip. I know of owners who travel from down south to them too. IoM is a good old trip though. Have fun and welcome to the addiction.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.
That’s gonna be the perfect car for the Isle of Man.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome from Nottinghamshire… Very nice :slight_smile:

Please feel free to view other ND pics here, and of course, add your own…!

Rob

Welcome to the club and lucky you for being on the Island. I thought I recognised the location and here is my RF on the 30th Anniversary of the MX5 Tour of the IoM in exactly the same place!

1 Like

Hey everyone, thanks for the warm welcome here.

Snap. That dealership is very well regarded online and Paul Nunn seemed like a real gentleman, so I had no reservations buying a car from outside the Isle of Man. All good so far.

Thanks very much, I’ll add my pic to that thread. One slightly embarrassing n00b question: what’s ND stand for? I see that designation used extensively, but not defined anywhere. I’m clear on RX though …

Superb location, isn’t it? I actually wanted to see if I could work my car into a scene which I’d previously photographed, but it didn’t work out thanks to a number of other vehicles parked nearby at the time. Maybe another day.

DSCF2047

3 Likes

All the people at Nunn’s are helpful, friendly and care about the customer. In my past life as a BT engineer I visited Nunn’s a couple of times to do work there before I was ever a customer. Nothing was too much trouble even when I was getting in their way and disrupting their work.

So many businesses that are friendly and helpful when you are buying but less than helpful when things go wrong. That will never happen at Nunn’s.

1 Like

That’s massively reassuring to hear, thank you. In an ideal world I try to have the dealer service my cars, at least for the first couple of years, but when you need to add at least £500 for fuel, a ferry crossing and overnight accommodation you need to be sure of that dealership. Sounds like I’ll be combining a service visit to Nunn’s with a mini road trip later this year. :+1:t2:

1 Like

No problem. ND refers to it being a Mark 4 MX5 - NA Mark 1 NB Mark 2 and NC Mark 3… :slight_smile:

Rob

1 Like

Plenty of good options where you are!

Hello from The Wilderness of Jockhanistan aka The Frozen North.
Lovely example you bought.
I think you probably made an immensely wise decision while both you and the Mx5 still have a pulse as I doubt very much there will be an NE in the traditional fossil fueled mechanical layout.
Here’s to us old pharts going Last of the Summer Wine and scaring the pheasants & peasants eh?
We will be remembered fondly…I hope.
Preferably with a wee bit oppo lock.

3 Likes

Aye, cheers for that! Loving every minute of it so far, even if I occasionally question the merits of a white interior near so many seagulls …

As for the whole fossil fuels thing, I do wonder what will happen to sole traders like plumbers and gardeners who can’t afford a shiny new electric van, especially when diminished economy of scale drives pump prices through the roof. Or where the government will find it’s next money tree when income from fuel taxes dries up.

These may well be the good old days my friend - cheers!

3 Likes

Popular spot! Long time visitor to the island, this was my first trip across with my newly acquired Niseko edition in August 2018. Brilliant MX-5 driving roads all over the rock - can’t wait for my next trip.

1 Like

If that cottage is the home of a drug dealer there are a lot of you on the Police and Customs watch list…