Greetings from the USA

Greetins Oxonians,

I am a Miata owner from New Hampshire, USA, and an active member of the Massachusetts Miata Club. My son and I are visiting the UK in April, and we have hired an MX-5 in Reading through the Turo service. We are planning an overnight outing to the Cotswolds on Thursday 27 April: lunch at the Royal Standard, visit to Waddesdon Manor, finishing at the Falkland Arms Chipping Norton, then returning to Reading Friday afternoon.

I’d like to connect with any and all MX-5 enthusiasts in the area, if your available on this week day, for some group driving or just to raise a pint at the end of day. I’d also like to hear about your favourite B roads in the area.

We are really looking forward to our trip.

Regards,

Mark.

PS. First pint on me.

1 Like

Hi Mark,

Looking at the Oxford area of this forum it doesn’t look very active, you may want to contact the Oxford area co-ordinators, Ellie and Derek Fenemore, directly at oxtord at mx5oc dot co dot uk.

Enjoy your visit.

Thanks Robbie, I shall do so.

some routes I know around the Cotswolds (pick and choose what you where you want to go):

Forest of dean has some cracking scenery but its a bit further away
Chepstow to Usk

I had to change the links and use pictures because this forum has a mind of its own… :expressionless:

depending how long you will be staying you may want to pop by C&M. Its not far from the Cotswolds (depending on the day you may need to book)

Other things you may want to consider,
if you fancy a nice classy farm you can shop and eat here

depending whether you know/heard of Jeremy Clarkson you could pop by his farm as well

1 Like

Thank you for your advice ckleanth. My son and are both fans of Clarkson from his Top Gear days and have seen the Clarkson’s Farm show - which is absolutely hilarious. We’ll have to pay him a visit.

My brush with greatness: I once saw Clarkson in a pub in Kensington (this during the time he was bounced from the Beeb for … being himself?) I said, “Hi Jeremy!” and he gave me a grunt, and raised his glass to me.

no worries mate, I hope you enjoy your stay.

One of my most favourite roads in the UK is the B4425 from Burford to Cirencester. It’s not usually very busy, isn’t a truck route and has the added advantage of going through Bibury (probably the most photographed village in the Cotswolds) and Barnsley. Not to mention several great pubs and cafes along the route for a pitstop.
Henry Cole says its the best road in the UK and he loves riding it on his collection of motorbikes.

That would be a great opportunity to drive the B4425.
Chipping Norton to Burford, Burford to Cirencester, Cirencester to Reading.
Slightly long way round, around 1hr 45mins driving time, but you’ll be in an MX-5 so no problem

1 Like