Grinding noise retractable 2012 mk3.5

Need help! My 2012 roof is making a grinding noise on opening/closing. At mot today, mechanic suggested its the motor. My friend thinks it sounds like a dry joint. So oil, grease or wd40 before I replace motor d’y think? Based nr Glasgow, lack of mx5 garages here!

Hiya, providing the domed stainless hex bolts either side are tight, giving good engagement of the quadrant gears, next step for me, would be lubricate.
Inexpensive, DIY and just might be the solution :+1: Rear deck lid and roof are powered separately, so does the noise happen with deck lid or main roof? Motors aren’t cheap new and hopefully not at fault. A spray grease with a straw will be easier to apply and direct to the linkage pivots/gears etc. I ended up at Mazda for diagnostics initially as can’t be read from OBD11 port for roof faults. Start with the least expensive first (lubricants) and see how that goes :+1:

Barrie

3 Likes

Interesting, as my mates 2012 has exactly the same problem.
The deck mechanism/motors are fine.
It’s the left roof motor that makes a really horrible grinding noise, opening and closing.
It was “suggested” that something may have caught in the mechanism…
Probably needs stripping down to try and find the exact problem, (needs a garage though in case of problems).
Would be very interested if you find the solution.
All the best. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

Thanks Barrie, will try your suggestion first before I resort to a garage.

Thanks scarletpimpernel, if I get to a solution will post up here.
Meantime does anyone have any tame & trusted mx5 marvel mechanics within the gravitational pull of Glasgow? Could even be tempted to travel to Edinburgh or further afield.

1 Like

So grinding/creaking roof on 2012 car, two garages later - result? Live with it, it’s going up & down when it should & nothing looks wrong.
Tempted to agree, but it doesn’t feel right to me.
Water ingress (sounds better than leak) in boot - despite hosing down for ages can’t get it to leak. A few drips at passenger window. Some rust found on metal panel behind seats but I firmly believe due to spead of surface rust & it being under window that’s down to condensation. That’s third garage for the boot leak, so I think I’m forced to live with it. Goes against my beliefs to settle. The last garage has stripped out carpets & trim, so when it rains (& this is Scotland, it will!) It may be easier to see where water is coming in. No charge so far, back in 2 weeks or so. Love my wee mx5 but if I can’t get these issues resolved, I may threaten him with trade in.
That’s what I get for being smug 1. he passed his mot without drama & 2. me fitting a filter myself with my painted manicured nails.

3 Likes

@Scarletpimpernel
Water leak appears to be from seal at passenger side window, running down & gathering in boot.
£58 plus postage; getting fitted next week, hopefully that’s one problem to score from my list. No solution to retractable roof grinding noise so far - did your mate get a resolution?
If leak repair successful I will post the garage name.

1 Like

Glad you got the water leak sorted, (well nearly). :+1:

Retractable roof grinding noise - unfortunately not!
This issue seems too difficult to actually diagnose the fault for many professionals/garages/mechanics/roof experts and may just turn out to be one of life’s little mysteries. Mazda will just chuck a motor at it, (if it is actually the motor of course) but not really understanding or knowing why. :man_shrugging:
Let’s be honest it can only really be a motor or the quadrant type gearing?
If anyone actually knows it would be extremely helpful. :slightly_smiling_face:
IF it was my car I would have the lot out, as I couldn’t put up with the noise and actually wondering why and when will it actually fail. :thinking:
Fingers crossed it never happens.