Grossglockner Alpine Road

Toll road, Austria to Italy. Opens in May weather permitting

Will be driving this again in June this year, in the RF last time I drove it was in a Caterham.

Did it 18 months ago great drive

Given the amount of free excellent driving roads in Europe, the €36 is a rip off in my opinion.

Well worth it though

Depends if you take advantage of the free parking ,( or at least it was the last time i was there) and wander through the tunnels and up the glacier, mind you 36E is a price hike.

Yeah, the current price is €36. I did it around three years ago and I think I paid €34. It’s a fine road with some lovely but there are just as good or better for free around the continent.

Wife and I drove over it in 1971 in an MG Midget, reg no JOF 747 E. Don’t recall having to pay anything then.

Sounds like a cool trip in the MG especially back then. I bet the glacier was a lot more substantial then too since it appears to be eroding from global warming ?

This gives a good preview, click on subtitles as they are in English. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KNjkDU-LhQ

Never driven this road Toll seems a rip off , just hope our country does not get any ideas as we have some amazing scenic drives , not on that scale I am sure 

We are doing it this June in the bigger car on the way back from Sicily, along with a few others that are on our tick list 

Col du Galiber as we love that one, plus a couple more from our to do list, Katschberg pass, Passo Pordoi.

Looking forward to some great roads 

I’ve driven this road many many times, fantastic views. Just don’t look at the drops without guard rails.

Its a popular automotive test location so you may also catch a glimpse of prototypes driving up and down the road.

Best avoid the weekends as its full of cyclists!