Handbrake sticking

1. My model of MX-5 is: __2011 NC
  2. I’m based near: __ Essex
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __

Just a quick question if anyone can help. Hadn’t driven the car for a week, went to move it and brake still held on with handbrake released. Moved it forward and back and then it was all ok. I’m guessing a pad just stuck on, they are quite new pads and discs so hopefully not a problem and just a winter glitch.

I would say nothing to worry about. From now on when you park leave it in first gear with the handbrake off.

1 Like

My previous NC used to do this but as soon as I started to reverse out of the garage I would hear a clunk and it would free itself. From what I have read it seems to be quite a common thing on these cars. Never gave me any trouble with calliper sticking on while driving though.

Hi,

I think this is one of those ‘they all do that sir’ things. I have a 2010 nc and experience the same thing.

Even in summer after a wash they’ll stick.

I wonder if there are pads/discs that are less susceptible to sticking like this :thinking:

^^This for me.
I only park mine handbrake on when actually out on the roads, at home off road never, I have got a flat parking area so just in gear.

Quite right - a lot of cars suffer from handbrakes sticking on if not used for a while, not just MX-5s. But 5s often being second cars, and liable to be laid up for weeks on end, especially in poor weather, seem to be well-known for it.

If you have your own private parking space, which is on the level, just park it in a low gear and leave the handbrake off. This is what I have always done, not just with my 5s, and only use the handbrake when out leaving my car in a public place.

1 Like

Thanks for such a quick and helpful response guys. I’ll leave it in gear when parked on the drive :+1::+1:

Just moved my NC after 10 days it the garage the same happened it had new pads and discs 3 months ago as mx pilot said they all do that sir its just the newness wearing off

Sintered pads have ferrous particles in them which can rust to the disc.
They are pretty small though, so no big deal.

I suspect the Kevlar type may not stick as no ferrous particles to corrode and stick.

1 Like