Happisburgh Lighthouse Wednesday 11th October

Fair bit of driving, two café stops and an iconic lighthouse to visit all we need is fine weather.
Happisburgh Lighthouse is the oldest working light in East Anglia, and the only independently run lighthouse in Great Britain.

Built in 1790, orginally one of a pair – the tower is 85ft tall and the lantern is 134ft above sea level. The ‘low light’ which was discontinued in 1883 was 20ft lower and the pair formed leading lights marking safe passage around the southern end of the treacherous Haisborough Sands.

Today the lighthouse is painted white with three red bands, and has a light characteristic of 3 white flashes, repeated every 30secs with a range of 18 miles. Saved as a working light by the local community, it is maintained and operated entirely by voluntary contributions. 96 stone steps (you have been warned) wind up the inside of the perimeter wall to the service room directly below the light.

Note numbers are limited to twelve persons, that the visit will last 1¼-1½hrs and then there’s the steps!

The charge depends on numbers. Up to 5 persons £40. 6–10 £60, £6 a thereafter. so we shall see nearer the time how this pans out.

PAYMENT ON THE DAY CASH ONLY

There is limited parking available along the lighthouse drive, possibly enough for us – please park on the left hand side of the drive only, as close to the bank as possible. Parking in the drive is just for the duration of our visit. No parking in the turning area at the top of the drive.

Alternatively, we can use the pay and display car park in Beach Road note that this car park does not take cards or mobile payments, so make sure you have change available.

Dogs allowed on site but NOT in the lighthouse tower.

If you’ve not seen the light yet then this is your opportunity!

MEET Lidl car park, Poppy Way Norwich NR13 5HB That’s near Gridserve, Postwick NDR/A47) at 9.40am leaving by 10am. Outward run of just 35mins to Hirst café for 10.30am coffee/breakfast. Depart café about 11.45am for 30min drive to the lighthouse arriving for our visit at 12.30pm.

Following the lighthouse visit we shall have a decent drive north and west punctuated (no tyres involved I hope) by a stop at Franklins café, Roughton for tea & cake then back to Norwich.

I’ll aim to finish via the NDR at the A47 Norwich southern by-pass by which stage some will have peeled off or continue their own way home.

This last of my Mid-Week runs for 2023. Thank you to all who have joined in them this year.

David

1. David
  2. Rosemary
  3. Kevin
  4. Tamsin
  5. Laurie
  6. Mark
  7. Richard
  8. Mick
  9. Gella
  10. Pete

Hi David, Sounds a fantastic trip. Please put Tamsin and I down for the trip. My back is recovering well, back on the bike so should be fit and ready for those steps. K & T.

Count me in David. It’s certainly different to our usual excursions.
Thanks, Laurie

David, yes please add me to the list assuming I have my 5 back by then. Thanks.
Mark

Yes please David. Can’t miss the last mid-week run of the year.

Richard W.

Richard,
You are on the list.
David

Hi David can you put Gella and I down for this one please
Cheers Mick

Mick and Gella,
You are on the list.
David

David, Can you put me on the list for this one, if not too late.

Thanks
Pete H.

Pete,
Great, you’re on the list.
David

Hi David just to let you know Gella is coming but won’t be going up into the lighthouse, so that gives a space if someone else was coming.
Thanks Mick

Thanks Mick. I think I’ll struggle with all those steps but determined to try, Gella can bring a book to read whilst we are ‘up tower’.

Thank you David for organising a brilliant day out and a fitting finale to the last mid-week run of the season. The two cafe pit stops came in very handy to keep one’s stomach from grumbling!!

Fantastic day David. Many thanks. A few photos to follow. K & T

Here here! A brilliant day out. You knew it wouldn’t rain during our lighthouse visit and it didn’t. I loved it. Very many thanks.

Richard W.

Bloody hell that Grumpy Old Man doesn’t actually look so Grumpy, must be something wrong with me. Thank you for the kind words. I felt we had a most illuminating visit to the lighthouse, Geoff ar guide was a star and even the weather obliged and we had some top down driving at least in the morning. A few alternative photos ie not a lighthouse in sight.
Here’s to more fun in 2024. David

Great day today thanks for organising. I have put some pics on the group facebook page.