Happy Haggis Day

It’s Burn’s night tonight, so enjoy your Haggis, Neeps and Tatties. With maybe a wee dram to warm the cockles of your heart.

Not fond of the full meal - get some large flat mushrooms, pull out the stem, crumble haggis onto the mushrooms, bit of olive oil and then bake for 20 minutes at 170ish. Mushies are also fine with Stilton or brie, but no whisky allowed without haggis.

5 Likes

My elder sister lives in Poole and has done for about 30 years.
Normally I get a local prize-winning family butcher to send her off a proper back-shop haggis & a local farm neep for her “To the Manor Born” type neighbours and so called friends to “experience”. Not happening this year.
Shame for her really…I know she misses “home”. :wink:

1 Like

My wife and I always celebrate Burn’s Night even though we are English - we just like Haggis.

The traditional way to serve it though, is not to our taste - mashed neeps and mashed tatties is just too much mush, so we simply adjust the accompanying veg to the way we like it.

2 Likes

The best Burn’s Night and Haggis meal I’ve ever had was prepared by an ex-SNP MP friend of mine, the worst Haggis, Neeps and Tatties meal I ever had was in a cafe in Fort William, everything was swimming in grease! Yukkk!

Often Chris, when Burn’s Supper hotels serve it, it’s just a small ice-cream sized scoop of all 3 main ingredients as a token “starter”.
For many, that’s enough!
Then again, we don’t spend 12 hours on frozen hill-sides herding sheep & cattle!

Tune in at 7pm for the online experience, some good acts on the bill.

The last Burns night I was able to enjoy with the full ceremony was a couple of decades ago in Tignes on a chalet ski holiday.

Two of us had driven out with absolutely all the makings including a few superb single malts, and being dyed in the tartan Scots they knew by heart The Ode to the Haggis. It was brilliant.

We missed our haggis for breakfast last year, couldn’t go on tour. Best we had from previous visits was a small B&B overlooking Loch Long, our host dressed in the clan tartan.

Yep, Haggis works for me as well, before lockdown, three of us blokes that liked it would have the occasional " Haggis evening " round my place, while the wives done their own thing, I would buy a boil in the bag Haggis from Morrisons , along with the veg, one would bring the Scotch and one the Beers, not fully authentic I know, but it always tasted good to us Englishmen, and a good night was had by all ! :woozy_face: :grin:
I’m starting to really miss stuff like that, I’m certainly not alone, and yes ,I realise it could be a lot worse :mask:

My wife didn’t disappoint on Burn’s Night.

Fabulous haggis (with mashed neeps, peas and carrots - cutting down on potatoes !), followed by a very tasty cranachan, and we toasted Robert Burns with a delicious glass of Jura.

Later we watched a documentary about the poet on Sky Arts. Not bad for a couples of sassenachs.

3 Likes

Sadly haggis gives me heartburn, so we had chicken fried rice for Burns night. It’s a little known fact that this was a favourite meal of Rabbie himself, as witnessed by one of his lesser known works …

“Ode tae a Wok”

Fair fa yer honest soncie rice,
Fried wi onions, tastes sae nice.
Wi eggs, an chicken strips of course,
An doused in bonnie, broon, soy sauce!

6 Likes

:heart_eyes:Love it! :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

I’m also no fan of accompanying food with whisky, the two just don’t mix in my opinion, and Rabbie agrees …

I love a dram, but think it rude,
To sully it, and drink wi food.
For whisky brings its finest cheer,
When sipped alane, wi just a beer!

3 Likes

A few years ago we had a weeks stay at the Clachaig Inn in Glencoe to do some of the mountains around there and I managed to have Haggis every night, I even had it with chips, lovely (it must be something to do with my grandmother being a sweat) :blush:.