Hard bumpy ride with Bilstein shocks

1. My model of MX-5 is:Mk3 2013 __
  2. I’m based near: Somerset__
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on:Shock absorbers __

I am a MX5 virgin having had Lotus Elans since 1966. My last one was washed away in a flood in May.

I understand that the car I have bought has a Bilstein set up and it is much too hard for us. Compared to the Elan it is very uncomfortable.

What is the percieved wisdom on the way to go? Very happy with car otherwise though amazed at the lack of legroom! D

I’m surprised you are saying the Bilsteins are too hard, it’s usually the other way and owners say they need a firmer and lower set up.
Worn Bilsteins can give the car a wallowing feeling, if I suggest what I have they’ll be much firmer.
Have you checked you still have the Bilsteins fitted, many want to change them out usually for something else?

Is vehicle fitted with 16” or 17” wheels. I remember a club member removing his 17” wheels and fitting 16” to get more sidewall to improve the ride.

Daft question, tyre pressures?

1 Like

many mx5 owners try fix/botch their cars. you need to get under there and establish your baseline, what’s fitted. you may have bistlain dampers but the previous owner may have changed the springs to lower height = stiffer springs.

tyre pressure is 28 psi. in my car I also have different suspension and i find that 26.5 psi works better for me.

There is also a tendency for people to fit oversize tyres on standard wheels which won’t help. Compare what’s on it with what’s in the handbook.

Standard tyre 205/45 R17 and the wheels are 17x7J ET55 (or 205/50 R16 tyre with a 16x6.5J ET55 wheel)

in my car I use a 215/45 R17 and sidewall is actually a few mm taller. a shorter sidewall would result to slightly stiffer tyre in comparison however from work experience the inflation pressure has a lot more influence to a “tyre spring”

Is it on lowering springs?

1 Like

Thanks to you all for your replies - I replied to the emails but they seem to have been bounced back. D

Right ho - here goes! Would fitting 16" wheels with 205/60/16nhelp with increased sidewall flexibility, and would 16" wheels with these tyres clear calipers and bodywork? Look forward to helpfull replies!! D

I didn’t find the 16" wheels I borrowed whilst my 17’s were being refurbed any more forgiving on todays roads.

If you are keeping the car - It might be worth considering a set of adjustable coilovers so you can tweek the suspension to your liking.

I understand that but what if equipped with 60 section tyres.

That wouldn’t look good at all. It really shouldn’t be too hard with the stock setup, I found it soft and wallowy even though it still handled quite well.

Not bothered by looks - interested in a more compliant ride!

You need to check what suspension is fitted first!

It is a 3.75 (2013) retractable hard top and I believe these were fitted wih Bilsteins? It has done 20k - previous owner a lady and I don’t think it has been altered as it like new throughout. D

Mine is a 3.75 sport tech prht on a 2014, one owner, slightly higher mileage at 34k but honestly the bilstein that were on it were very supple. Could it be where it hasn’t been driven you just need to give it a time for everything to loosen up a bit? Or have you had the car a while and put plenty of miles on?

No, a relativly recent purchase, June 2023 to replace my beloved Elan swept away in a flood. Been around the Pyranees and so on, but the ride - compared to the Elan is harsh, and dead feeling steering as well. I like the powered hood, heated seats and so on!! Not so fond of the tiny boot and lack of leg room and no exhaust note to lift the spirits! D.

Looks like you just need another Elan really….

Beryl - you are very perceptive, but at 82 I think I need something a bit more modern. If only I could sort out the ride. No one seems to know the answer to my original question. D