Hard Top for your ND?

I spotted this in Filey over the weekend. It looked very good (the roof not the car) but I dread to think how much it would cost.

:heart:

2 Likes

That does look interesting I must say! :smiley:

https://dgmotorsports.com/mx5_new.php

5 Likes

That is really good looking, just like a proper coupe!!! :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

I think the top photo is a Fiat (?) which had a hard top option. The Frankenstein bolt holes are also on the ND under the strips in front of the boot lid.

There are a number of hard top options available and the guys over at miata.net seem quite enthusiastic about the prospects. Obviously shipping costs would be extremely expensive.

Someone did investigate the Fiat top but I believe the panels on the 124 are sufficiently different to make fitting it to an ND an unlikely option.

I have mixed opinions on a hard top. Would be a great way to make the car more comfortable for winter use, but if you decide you want to drop the top on a freak warm day… In the summer you need to store it too. And at £1500 it’s as much as a new soft top, for me I like the idea that a hard top would preserve my soft top, but if the cost is as much as a new soft top I could let the soft top do its thing for ten years then just replace it. I dunno.

The pictures are of the same Fiat, it was still there this morning. Have a look here http://www.abarth.com/124-gt
:heart:

1 Like

Post deleted by me because I was wrong!!! :hot_face: :innocent:

Looks nearly as good as the carbon-fibre wrap on my NC hard top :wink:

On that subject, it’s MUCH quieter than the one on my NB and seems to make the body feel stiffer overall. The NB one seemed to “bow” where it met the screen rail, whereas this one - with just the central latch - doesn’t. Wonder if it’s this that makes it so much quieter?

I wanted one for my race car! There’s only so many times you can ask for an all in shipped rate to uk! I tried else where myself to get a shipping quote, but just gave up in the end! :pensive:

The Abarth roof is carbon fibre, not a wrap, as I dare say you know.
Having owned NB & NC hardtops I’d suggest that the biggest difference between them is much thicker insulation on the NC roof; they are much heavier too.
You’ll also know that the side catches on the NC hardtop are easily adjustable for tightness, unlike those on the NB roof. I’m sure fit is a significant factor in the improved wind and noise insulation.
However, for me, the main advantage of the roofs is the fact that they significantly improve the handling and stiffness.

Yes, I’d guessed the Abarth would be the real McCoy! The reason I had mine wrapped was because I’d managed to get a perfect used roof including all fittings, for £510, which considering I’ve seen them sell for £8-900+ recently for just the roof, I thought was OK. Of course, the snag was it was red, I had it wrapped (£150) so when it comes to selling it, it was suitable for anyone wanting either a red or neutral roof - in the meantime I think it looks great.

I didn’t know about the thicker insulation, but I’d certainly sensed the additional stiffness; I have the mohair soft top so it was already pretty quiet, the hard top makes it sound more like a saloon inside!