Hard Top Problems

Oh Dear what have I done? I had a fully retractable hard Top in perfect working order, I valeted the car & washed it down then when I went to close the roof it came up an closed, but not quite properly!

When I now try & retract the roof the drivers window drops as normal but the passenger side doesn’t it won’t even go up or down using the button on the central console - any thoughts?.. John

I’ll bet there is some wetness on the passenger carpet.

If so you have the inevitable Leaky Grommets under the windscreen scuttle allowing water into the fuses and control modules by the passenger left knee. See the Water Ingress how to in Body in the Downloads on the OC main page for the quick and simple fix.

Once it has all fully dried out again it should be OK.

Richard FX,

You were completely right I left it 24hrs - some of that time the car was in direct sunlight - I got in the car, turned the electrics on, held my breath and pressed the switch for the passenger window! It WORKED, the window went down, I then checked the lowering and raising of the roof and IT ALL WORKED PROPERLY - Yeah…

Thank You for your very simple guidance, I will follow-up on how to reduce the likelihood of this problem repeating itself: but hey I had a great day despite all the current troubles (NB: that sounds very selfish in the current climate, but under normal circumstance I’d be happy so I was also today)… John

Hi, which version of the MX5 is this related to? Asked you rather than the OP as you’re more active on here :slight_smile:

Looking at getting an ND once this lockdown is over and also wondered: If the roof got stuck mid way through closing/opening, is there a manual override that you complete the job with?

The OP had a Mk3, with PRHT, and all Mk3s have a design weakness in the foam seal around a couple of grommets used for the screws securing the scuttle panels.

The foam perishes, the passenger side grommet sits in a depression that collects water, which drips through into the electrics. If I were more cynical I might suggest it was a deliberate feature to ensure the car had a limited life, because once the systems fail (controlled by those modules and fuses down there) it is very, very expensive to repair them. As it is, I just think it is an oversight, easily fixed with some silicone sealant.

All Mazdas have some electrics and fuses in that same position, but not all have the leaky grommets, eg my more boxy Mazda3 will not suffer from that particular weakness.

The ND has not two but seven screws (arrowed) holding down the two scuttle panels. Some of them might be trouble in the future, but without seeing how the grommets are sealed to the plenum-chamber-floor/firewall panel I cannot be certain. If the ND has the RF, then it might become interesting.

The NC Owners Manual has full instructions on how to over-ride the electric motors and open/close the PRHT manually, with a long bit of string and an extra long Allen key, provided as a kit with the car. It is quite easy once you know how, and are strong enough, but a pain in the rain for the first time!

I can only assume the NDRF has a similar kit for the similar (but cunningly different) mechanism.

wow great reply thank you :wink: I recall driving up to a roundabout a good few years back and a Vauxhall Tigra went across the front of me with the roof stuck half open, I felt sorry for the driver and how embarrassed they must have been :stuck_out_tongue: That’s always stuck in my mind when it comes to a metal folding roof!

Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like