Hard Top Respray

Hi anyone have any idea where I can get a Hardtop Resprayed at a sensible price? Or do you think this can be done with Shaky cans??

Live in Nuneaton but anywhere within reason would be ok, appreciate your help 

John

Hi John

It took Me a full weekend sat morning strip and prep,sun morning spray(useing black plasticoat spray paint in cans from B&Q)rebuilt,rubbed down with G4,waxed and refitted on the mx/roadster at 5ish pm,i will not be paying for any more hard tops to be sprayed any more,but your only choice in colour is black or black!!!

Regards

Wayne

Hi Wayne, not sure if you got my reply, thanks for your help. How many cans did you use and what primer would you say is best? I will give it a go, whats the worst that can happen???

John

Hi John

The primer was black plasticoat primer,and the top coats were black plasticoat black gloss, and i used 1 1/4 cans of primer and 2 cans of gloss,but it all depends on what finish you want,i felt that this was enough, and remember if your wiper arms are looking in need of paint this is perfect for them also ,but you will also need masking tape,news paper,wet and dry paper,rubbing down paste ,wax/polish,patience,and time,and some one to bring fresh brews.

Kind regards

1 Like

Go speak to Sam Goodwin, www.samgoodwin.com (Nuneaton); he has contacts in the local trade who can do good work at good prices.

1 Like

The worst that can happen is that you get grease in the paint, it reacts and bubbles, causes a mess, and then you’ll get charged extra by a sprayer to strip off the rattle can paint. Or that the new paint forever keeps peeling off, as the hardtop has a tendancy to do.

Pro job should be £100-150, home paint; £40 in spray cans, £30-40 in paper, cutting compound. If contemplating a home job, best to wait now until the spring, when the air is drier. Moisture at this time of year (unless you have a well heated garage!) will conspire against a decent finish, in the absence of an oven.

I agree,the cold weather temp will take away the shine from the paint and leave it dull,unless you have a well heated garage to do this in,and as saz as pointed out it must be totally clean before applying any paint.

But if sam goodwins only charge £100-£150 to do the job!! i would just let them do it,i have paid and did pay a lot more than that,thats why i am doing them myself,if they were closer to me they would get my work.

Kind regards

Hi Wayne, thanks for the reply. I might try the wiper arms first! Not looking for show winning finish just need to change from the green that I have now. Thanks for the information who knows may even end up doing the whole car.

John

Hi Saz, Got quoted £200, which seemed a bit steep. My garage has Boiler in it which keeps it dry but if I can get a pro Job done for £100-£150 then that may be the simple answer, but I will miss out on the paint fumes!

Thanks for your reply

John  

Hi again Wayne, If Sam Goodwin can get it done for that price I would be more than happy to let him do it, they are only about 5 minutes away and I was in there yesterday. Thanks for your advise.

John

Sam is not doing the work. Thats my estimate. I used MMS  (VBRA accredited)in Nuneaton to repaint my car this summer. Total cost was £1200, including a sill repair, and oven bake. He also painted and fitted a boot spoiler for me, for free. He does a lot of MX5s, and had the confidence to tell me exactly how he was going to repair the rust damage (I used this as my gauge of how much of a belts and braces approach body shops would take). Prepping and repainting the carbon fiber front bumper was about £150 out of the total cost, so a hardtop ought to be comparable.

the best type of day to do any spraying is on a warm wet/ rainy day… keeps dust and dirt in the air to a minimum and the finish is alot better than spraying on a dry day. :wink:

just my experience.

Living 5 miles from Nuneaton, I’d be interested to find out how much the job costs you and he quality, as I have a hard top that I want respraying. I want mine to stay green though.

Hi Phil, I got the job done by Charlie Merritt (Camper Van Crisis TV programme) who did a good job for 80 quid. The last number I have is 07835 462565. He is based in Bedworth down a bit of a pot holed drive, worth a word with. He did the job on time and for the price he quoted.
John

Thanks John, I’ll give him a call about doing mine too.