Hard top stuck down

1. My model of MX-5 is: __3
  2. I’m based near: __Bradford
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __ I have just bought a folding hard top Mk3 , my previous cars have had mohair roofs.
    I checked the manual to see how to raise a non functioning hard top and the instructions were horrendous , does anyone know of a more practical way or are there any lubrication or maintenance issues to make the fault more unlikely to happen ,thanks.

There’s a useful lubrication guide available here:

Check for a few very simple control problems.

Is the boot lid fully shut? Really shut?

Is the handbrake on?

Is it out of gear?

Is the hard-top lock-lever switch working properly?

Is the ignition On?

Thanks everybody for your excellent advice, really appreciated. Bryan.

Have a look at this link from across the pond. You could print off the info with the photo’s and keep a copy in the glove box.

Also check if has a Smarttop module connected if so disconnect if and see if all works. The module is usually located behind the panel behind the seat. See the instructions below for details of what and where to look…

do the window switches work?
There is a known problem on their mini circuit boards re dry solder joints. A guy from Oz did a youtube fix on it methinks

Worth checking the fuses in the main board in the engine bay. Apparently there are 2 x 30A for left and right motors. It would be strange if both had blown, as I say just worth checking there anyway.

The layout and fuse positions.

Thanks for that, it’s not actually stuck down now , I am just preparing for the eventuality, Bryan.

You should have a kit that came with the car, it’s 2 lengths of cord and a long steel bolt/screw eye. You can operate the roof manually if stuck down or partially closed and the motors fail.
Keep the kit in the glove box or inside the car, not in the boot as in there it’ll be inaccessible should the roof fail.
Sometimes they go walkies from owner to owner.

Don’t worry too much about it. There are only a tiny number of reports on any of the forums of this actually happening to a PRHT.

If it is working OK then the most likely things to go wrong are the pair of shiny chrome-dome allen-key bolts working loose.

They are an essential part of the system and all too easily removed.