Hardtop frankenstein bolts without threaded studs 🤔

on my mk1, at the moment i have a soft-top and so have blank / filler whatever you want to call them screws in the back where the frankenstein bolts will go for a hardtop.
today i got these:

i’ve seen where someone removes their filler screws and it leaves the hole.
so how am i supposed to put the franky bolts on?
i’ve looked for ages and i’m yet to find one thing that says, buy threaded studs to use with frankenstein bolts. why would anyone even want to separate the bolt from stud?
i’ve seen what a nightmare it can be for people to get a threaded stud out.
:slightly_smiling_face:

ps: does anyone have one of the ones with the thread handy? how long is the thread that is exposed? i may have a way of making one.
:open_mouth:

Turn a bolt into each one about a inch and half long at the least , longer is fine and just cut them down to length , you will need at least 3/4 of thread from the mushroom bolt to be able to screw into place, longer is fine, make sure you apply copper slip to the threads to act as a extra seal and protection from rust so they do not fuse into place, if you were close by i would sort these quick for you.
M-m

2 Likes

thank you. i was on the right track. i have some regular bolts and mushroom bolts of the correct thickness. i was gonna saw the end off two and use those. but i was wondering about rekking the thread at that end. anyhoo, worth a try before i spend £20 on new ones.
:blush:

Put a nut on so when you cut them you can turn the nut off to help re shape the cut end.
Nip to a local garage to cut the ends off with a grinder.
M-m

1 Like

thanks. i’ll do that for the 2nd one. sounds like a good idea just in case. i’ve done the 1st one and its fine. :blush:

1 Like