Has anyone changed the bush in the front shock absorber of a mk1? 🤔

if so, which did you use?

i’ve seen some on mx5parts and some on autolink, but they’re different shapes.

edit: i’ve seen a post where someone says they had to take their Bilstein S.A. off in order to change it. is that the case with all shock absorbers?

I seem to recall that a Mini Metro bush fitted the factory Bilsteins. Just took a set of factory Billies to the tip yesterday.

The Autolinkuk and MX5parts bushes look pretty much the same

I’d think if you are looking to replace the bushings on 25-30 year old shocks, the rest isn’t long for this world.

1 Like

thanks for reply. i don’t think they are original shocks.

i’m not changing em cos theres something wrong with em. i have to cut through the mounting bolt because i can’t get it off any other way. yes i’ve tried slicing the end off.

did you have a K reg special edition at some point? on autolink there’s 2 different kinds, for SE and every other mk1. i’m not sure whether mine is a SE or not. i was told it was. but the interiors of SEs look like they have particular seats and colour schemes. the interior of mine looks the same as the regular mk1 i used to have.

:thinking:

I had a S-Limited way back. The SE was a UK edition, that came in two phases (different wheel wheels). Essentially, it was a black and tan V-Special, and came with Showa shocks.

Or you mean S-Special which had yellow Bilsteins.

S-Specials had a black cloth interior, with stainless steel speaker covers. At one time, they would have had a Nardi steering wheel and matching shifter, but most of these will have gone by now.

Then Mazda had limited editions based on the S-Special; S-Limited, RS-Limited, R-Limited, Sr-Limited. The other limiteds were based on standard cars.

But Mazda also offered the Bilsteins as a dealer fit option

The door shut sticker should identify if your car is a S-Special.

1 Like

thank you for the excellent info! i appreciate the pics very much :smiling_face:

does anyone know if you have to take the shock absorber off to change the bush?

does anyone know of a post or a video on replacing the bush?