Has anyone fitted 16" Alutec Monstr Wheels other recommendations for big brakes?

1. My model of MX-5 is: __2002 S-VT
  2. I’m based near: __Watford
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __16" wheels

Sending Madge off for a suspension refresh with all OEM parts and complete respray next month and am looking at 16 x 6.5 et 40 PCD 100x4 wheel replacements in bronze to match her red paintwork.

I have found only one wheel that matches those exact dimensions the Alutec Monstr

I am a little disconcerted by the fact the only photo’s I can find are generic showing a five stud wheel and am wondering if anyone has fitted or even seen a 4 stud version of the wheel ?

There is a Sparco which meets all the criteria except the ET which is 37,

the handy https://www.wheel-size.com/size/mazda/mx-5/2002/#trim-ii-nb-1998-2005-18i--144 website shows the offset range for my model is 38 - 42 does running 3mm further from the strut adversely affect wheel bearing wear ? The car will not be lowered so I doubt the tyres on these wheels will foul the body work.

Finally I know some people run big brakes with 15" wheels I could be open to any suggestions for 15 x 6.5 PCD 100x4 that do not require spacers that anyone has.

Pictures would be most welcome.

TIA

3mm will not affect the wheel bearings in any percieveable way on any car, it is such a small variance.

How come you are so set on sticking so firmly to that particular size and offset when to deviate form it slightly means opening up a huge amount of other options?

On my nc the wheels are an inch wider with larger tyres and 26mm more ‘poke’, and there are no adverse affects from installing them. :+1:

Found this pic here

Many thanks John, huge sigh of relief I will not need to have Mk3 hubs fitted to my poor little NBFL :+1:

Please consider this thread case closed :santa: :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for the reassurance on the 3mm variance.

The main reason I am not keen on altering the wheel specs, though I know it would offer more options, is that I really like the way Madge handles as standard. Not only do I feel confident I have the sensitivity and capacity to keep her on the black stuff when I am competing and doing track days probably considerably less than 1k miles a year, but most importantly she feels comfortable when I am touring and really enjoy driving her all day long up to 10k miles a year.

I am also trying to avoid going down an upgrade rabbit hole where I end up with a racing car totally unsuited to touring see mileages above. I’d rather just go all in and buy a single seater if I wanted extra performance that badly.

Finally by keeping the specs close to original I can compete as an unmodified runner this means I do not have to invest so heavily in safety equipment which is going to interfere with touring. Specifically I do not need to run a roll bar which for my height is not compatible with a standard seat.

If I had a non standard seat, which I know from experience would be a right pain to get in and out of repeatedly on a day full of errands, I’d have to have a multipoint harness which I also know from experience is a right pain for daily use.

In short I want to enjoy the maximum comfort and performance from Madge as is. The choice of new bronze wheel is down to cosmetics and some concerns over the integtity of the now 22 year old original wheels, which were powdered coated before I got her, rather than the pursuit of additional handling.

Hope that makes sense.

Yes I understand now :+1:. I think you can rest assured, my last car had 25mm hubcentric spacers fitted for 5 years and no adverse affects. I’ve also had cars with wheels that were 30mm out and 2.5 inches wider than stock before and had no wheel bearing issues, arch issues are another thing though :grin:.

In a moment of urgent need with no immediate availiblity of usual 45 profile I went up to 50 profile and was quite pleased with the way it handled though lord knows what that did to the geometry which at the time I could not get checked because of insufficient funds to get the whole suspension refreshed as I am doing now. The paranoia of incorrect speedo reading was the only real downside or I would opt for 205/ 50 16’s again.