Has anyone had a special moment as a result of the passing wave and what do we truly think the meaning of it is?

Ha, ha! Yes…! I ALWAYS wave - flash lights etc… :blush::+1: Sometimes even when I’m driving my Jeep Wrangler - oops! :face_with_hand_over_mouth::rofl::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

LOVE belonging to the MX5 community… Had my Mk2 since 1999 (JDM) - can’t miss me - she’s a white one (!) - and puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel… I’ll keep flashing and waving… :grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

Yep… Done this driving my Jeep Wrangler too… ! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Must have thought I was nuts… ! :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

For some reason this reminds me of an old “Thunderbirds are Go” joke (surely some of you are old enough to to remember Thunderbirds?

Lady Penelope and her chauffeur, Parker, are out for a run in Fab1 (her pink Rolls Royce; I had the Corgi version). They get a puncture, which Parker sets about fixing, while her ladyship sits in the car. After a bit, she leans out and says, “Do you need a screwdriver?”

Parker replies, “That’s very kind of you m’lady. I’ll just fix the puncture first.”

3 Likes

I wave whenever I see another MX5. It doesn’t particularly bother me if they don’t wave back. I think it’s their loss if they don’t. But it certainly brings a smile to me face if they do!

5 Likes

Was out in mine yesterday afternoon and got a wave from an MR2…!

2 Likes

I got and returned a wave from a dark blue NC a couple of weeks ago near Stoneleigh in Warwickshire, I’d only just picked my new car up from the dealers and it was the first mx5 I saw ! My day was already made, but that put the icing on the cake !

2 Likes

I’ve got a 350 mile round trip tomorrow, (South coast - North Devon) and I’m hoping to see others out enjoying the weather. My car’s easy to spot (for obvious reasons) so if anyone’s around a wave would be appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sounds good. Have a great drive and day… You might need your sun-hat on… is looking pretty good for tomorrow…! :smile:

i’d heard of the ‘wave’, acknowledgment thing and since my wife and I have had ours (about 8 months)
i’ve had a few flashes, hazard light, wave acknowledgments and I love it.

I’m always looking out for other MX5’s whether I’m in ours or my work van. I rode bikes for years so am used to fellow members of the same ‘club’.

(I’ve also been blanked a few times which is a bit embarrassing.)

I’ll carry on regardless though

1 Like

It’s when you see an MX5 coming the other way, so you flash your lights and wave and only then realise you’re driving the diesel estate…

2 Likes

I was parked on North Parade in Hoylake on Good Friday, I was out of the car but still managed a wave from a passing gun metal grey ND MX5, both with our roofs down :+1:. Missed out later on in Neston though, I gave a wave to a lady driving a 30th Anniversary RF who didn’t see me :sob:. Roof was open too :sun_with_face:

3 Likes

Looking good on a lovely day…! :smile:

I waved to a Porsche today :astonished:

In mitigation, it did contain two rather attractive young ladies who were waving at me.
Looked like they were well into the joys of roof-down motoring.

I saw far too many convertibles around to day with roofs firmly UP. The weather here is warm enough for even normal people (MX-5 owners excluded, of course) to lift that latch, press that button or whatever and enjoy the open air.

2 Likes

Before I got mine we used to laugh at the top downs in winter and joke about them having the heaters on… guess what we do now? Of course it’s fun!

I do get lots of waves I am pleased to say from all Marks which is nice. The first time I took my brother out he was genuinely surprised by it and didn’t realise it was a ‘thing’.

The best compliment was from a guy after I parked and was putting the roof back up and who was staring at it then came over and said it was the nicest one he had ever seen and used to have an MX5 before his health stopped him. A compliment costs nothing and it’s great when people do make the effort.

Happy waving and flashing! :smiley:

3 Likes

Out of 3 waves yesterday, not a single wave back from one NB and two RF’s. All had their roofs up.
Maybe if they let the sun hit their heads they might feel happier.
Or maybe we are too friendly a bunch (I have never been accused of that before!).

1 Like

I was out in my 140 and passed three or four MX5s, couldn’t resist giving a thumbs up to a lovely red NA near Loch Leven. He smiled.

Cold day, roof down they’ll always wave, hot day, roof up not a chance !! Hot day, roof down , sometimes too busy having fun to notice you !

3 Likes

I get a higher proportion of wave backs from MX5’s drivers (and passengers sometimes too) when their roof is down, compared to when it’s up.

2 Likes

I lived in an area for many years where it was the norm to give some form of wave or greeting from car to car and if I do wave it’s only with four fingers so my hand’s still on the wheel.

The first MX-5 wave we ever got (and indeed last) was from a passenger. We were near Moffat heading back home in our newly refurbished green Morris Minor (mentioning this in case they’re forum members) when the MX-5 in question overtook us and the woman with hair flying in the wind, stuck her entire arm straight up in the air and gave us a huge, enthusiastic wave before the car shot off into the distance. Oh, and this was a sunny day, blue skies etc. etc. etc.

So yes, I think that friendly wave was a special moment just because of the jollity and enthusiasm shown from her.