Has anyone had a special moment as a result of the passing wave and what do we truly think the meaning of it is?

I’ve owned an Mx5 for only 9 months of my 19 years with a driving license and if ever I see another mx5 I’ll nod and wave hence the plate!

I assume the wave it to show other that yes this car is fun and any excuse to drive it I will! Has anyone got any other thoughts about the wave and has this led to any interesting moments for any of you! I honestly seem to get about a 50/50 split to a wave or not!
My late uncle was a superintendent in east Anglia for the AA back in the old days and he once told me an interesting story of the AA salute and its meaning. A non Mx5 waver certainly isn’t thinking like this. Haha!

Thoughts please!

5 Likes

Brilliant AA story there!
I have yet to experience my first MX-5 wave. However, I been on the end of the ‘bikers nod’ on many occasions. For me, it’s simply an acknowledgement that we’re part of a wonderful community with one thing in common and that, on a glorious sunny day with your lid up (or top down), you’re having more fun than anyone else on the road. Shared joy :grin:

8 Likes

I had a young lady (well she looked younger than me) wave and toot her horn as she passed me at the filling station. I was filling the car up at the time, she was in a Mk3 with the hood down.
Wife did see all this and asked who she was​:open_mouth::angry:, she knows about the wave thing but wasn’t sure about this one.:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

11 Likes

The one which caught me most by surprise was the first wave from an NA which wasn’t a wave at all but a pop up of the lights without flashing. I hadn’t known that could be done, for one, and popping up in lieu of the wave tickled me all the more for being unexpected.

I, too, have known the sense of being in the in crowd when out on a bike and getting a nod or a wave. I like the camaraderie of the shared joy and will always offer the wave, though it’s often not returned.

In my experience, the older the car, the more likely it is to be driven by an enthusiast and, although the ND appears to be a return to form, my highest instance of failures to respond are from NC drivers. It’ll be interesting to see how that develops over time.

5 Likes

We went for a long weekend break last August having only had our MX5 from the June.
We intially had a night at Walkington near Beverley and then drive through from Beverley to Bridlington where we staying for the weekend.
We saw several MX5s on that journey of various models and they all waved back.
In some vehicles it was even the female passengers who waved back but we took any and really enjoyed it when we got the acknowledgement back.
Ours is an NC PRHT Venture and we will always wave back Jitsuka

2 Likes

Great choice of model but I am bias!

1 Like

It’s about 50/50 for me also, and woman are more likely to wave back than men, but maybe that’s because I’m a guy, who knows. I feel a right berk if I wave and get nothing back - I try styling it out by adjusting my hat :sunglasses:

2 Likes

My recent one was a young lad in his early mk3 followed me into a Tescos car park. When I say young I thought just passed his test. I parked up and turned my ignition off, got out and he was across the back of my car! He showed an interest in the sound of my exhaust and generally complimented my car.
He then asked me to start the car up and let him hear some revolution to which I obliged and I even let him film it. I popped the bonnet and showed him my filter as I think he wanted to upgrade his!
It shows how a car can bring people together and create a mutual interest.
He obviously was advised to join the club!

7 Likes

I’ve had a couple of casual waves back! 1) Keen wave back = Enthusiast. 2) Casual wave back = OK then! 3) No wave back = Idiot or I didn’t see you…! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

To be honest, I’ve often waved at a few different models of cars, to show my appreciation to their owners for their choice.
With MX-5’s, I wave in order to share the joy of driving one with someone who understands that joy.
And also to say “I’ve checked yours out”. Because we all love to see other MX-5’s.
It is a community thing. Brilliant too.
Those who do not wave back might just be concentrating only on the road!

4 Likes

Not all MX5 drivers in my experience acknowledge each other, but when we had the IOW MX5 Day on the Isle of Wight in 2018 there were waves and flashing of lights everywhere!

A few weeks back I was driving to get my MX5 MOT’d, having not used it properly since last August. During the 5 minute drive, as I crossed a roundabout (with the roof down - obviously!) a fellow MX5 driver was waiting to join the roundabout and gave me a definite wave and it really made my day!

3 Likes

I always flash my lights and follow it with a wave & about 80% of the time I get a response. The only time I didn’t get a response & felt daft was when I did it & then realized I was actually drive my wifes Aygo. DOH.

7 Likes

I have done this in my other car a couple of times…they must just think i’m super friendly haha

5 Likes

Interesting! I’ve had my MX5 four year’s now and the “Nod/Wave/Flash of the lights thing is always a nice gesture. I’ve also owned a Triumph TR6 since 1976, yes I am that old. Back in those early days of TR ownership ( when there were many more TR’s) acknowledging fellow owners was the thing to do. I can remember thinking if you didn’t get an acknowledgment then the TR was obviously out on a test drive after a service. So guy’s and gal’s keep waving, it brings a smile to fellow MX owners in these difficult time’s.

4 Likes

Will do!! :wave:

Saw a Kawasaki green 5 driving towards me last night while I was walking up the Royal Mile but realised waving would just look weird as I was hoofing it like the peasant I am :pensive:

4 Likes

I’ve hardly used mine since I purchased it in December but have already had the wave twice.

I’ve had a few Alfa Romeo’s in the past and the same camaraderie exists with owners of those.

I find the biker nod which I always do is always more returned in the winter months and then at the start of the riding season. In the height of summer you can be like the Churchill dog such is the amount of bikes on the road, so it becomes less reciprocated as a result.

I always give a wave if its safe to do so, but to be honest around here it is rare to get a wave back.

1 Like

Hi
My father owned a reliant regal ( Del boy van)in the 70s,they had the same code as the Mx drivers ,where a wave or hands up when passing one of the same.

1 Like

Took mine out for a run this afternoon and whilst sitting at some roadworks in Kiveton, saw a red MX5 at the front of the queue waiting to come through so couldn’t wait to get through and wave and got a wave back which made my run worthwhile.
About 5 minutes down the road towards Wales Bar a company van came past and the driver was tooting his horn, so I’m going to chalk that one up as 5 owner who was in his works vehicle.
If it was anyone on here hello

1 Like