Haynes MX5 manual

If anyone is struggling for a stocking filler, these are available from your local Halfords. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Don’t bother - I have one and it’s all but useless. Not how I remember Haynes manuals from the eighties…

3 Likes

My Bro-in-law says the same as he has one…but there are quite a few mechanically inept folk about and it may just be the thing to pull them out of a hole.

2 Likes

It cannot go too, deep as they did in times past, as many assemblies are non repairable. However I have found mine to be very useful for all the bits and bobs I have had to do.

1 Like

I agree with @mjwman . My manual has helped me on numerous occasions to undertake small jobs, as do the ones for the Morris Minor and the LR Discovery.

1 Like

I have a middle-of-the-road opinion on this.

haynes manuals are not what they once were.
30 years ago there would have been at least 3 manuals for the MX5 NC
1 for the NC
1 for the NC2
1 for the NC3
and there may have been one’s for each type/size of engine.

however today there is only 1 manual for the NC and for the heavy mechanical stuff it’s still a solid manual.
but for the more changeable things like bose stereo/ non bose stereo, it’s not so good.
I needed to see a picture of my bose door speakers, so that I could get the correct replacement but sadly there was no picture of the bose speakers at all!

so yeah, for heavy mechanic work it is still a solid manual but for things like trim work, not so much!

1 Like

The problem for me is the pictures are rubbish. The print quality is so poor it’s really hard to see. And the indexing is just wrong…

I bought a new Haynes Manual for a Morris Minor a few years ago and the print was so poor it was barely readable. It looked like someone had photocopied it on a copier where the toner was overdue a change. I already had an ‘old’ copy which was perfectly alright so I returned it to the shop and as luck had it found another ‘old’ copy at a show the following weekend for £5. Better an old copy with a few oily fingerprints than a new one that you can’t read.

Do they do one for the ND, now made since 6 years ago? Of is the Hayes series now defunct?

David

Have a look here Mazda MX5 Haynes Repair Manuals & Guides--------but this Online manual - MX5 Manual | Mazda MX5 (Mk4) 2015+ may be a better bet and it is free.
:heart:

Having mostly run cars one stop before the scrap yard I have always found Haynes a useful companion to the owners manual.

I was a bit doubtful about how usefull the NB edition might be when I bought Madge but so far it has helped me tackle a variety of issues including, basic service, slow window mechanism, cam cover gasket. For my money it has been most useful helping me decide when to hand a job over to a professional, particularly anything to do with brakes, I really would want a second pair of hands to bleed them, I did not feel brave enough to change the water pump first time round, but am thinking I can probably tackle it with better facilities, garage so I can take my time and leave unfinished over night if I had to, second time round.

It is a shame the quality to the photography did not improve much over the years but for the basic mechanical details torque settings order in which to tighten things up an so on it is spot on. Ofcourse for everything else these days we have the wonders of the intelnet forums, youtube vids and facebook can all help get even the most difficult jobs done.

I have the NB Haynes manual and have found the wiring diagrams useful.

I still have the Haynes manual for my first car, a very old and battered Mini van, bought in 1972. That one got a LOT of use. It’s very oil stained! :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks. The online one looks more useful. There is also 2016 ND Shop Manual | ND Shop Manual , which is not as occult as the url might suggest.

David

These modern Hayes Manuals are really poor and mostly useless except for very basic jobs. The print quality and detailing is awful.

Hunt online and you’ll get a download of the Genuine Mazda MX5 NC Workshop Manual for about £5. This has everything you will ever need although you might that some being sold don’t have every page of the wiring diagram for some reason.
You may also be able to find NA, NB and ND but I haven’t looked.

1 Like