Hazard lights activating after hitting potholes

Hi - I recently bought a 2007 2.0 sport (PRHT). I am delighted with it except for one problem. Every time I hit a big pothole, the hazard warning lights come on. The hazard switch will click in and out but does not immediately cancel them. Its happened about three times in a week. Usually, if I wait a few minutes and switch the car on and off the switch will eventually cancel them.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem and found the solution?

Many thanks in advance of any guidance/comments.

Regards, Jim

Could be a faulty switch - if something’s loose inside it & making the circuit when jolted?

Another thought - have you any water ingress through the scuttle grommets? That’s a common issue on the NC / Mk3 & can cause all sorts of weird electrical goings-on. It’s just possible that the bump from a pothole causes water that’s already come in behind the dash to drip down into a connector or relay?

Hi Andy- thanks for the quick reply. I removed the switch and partially stripped it down. I used electrical contact cleaner and compressed air to clean it up.

I have only just got the car so I don’t know if there has been any water ingress. I will check the area for signs of damp.

1 Like