Headlight Adjustment ND2

The headlights on our 30AE are set too high and we get a lot of annoyed drivers giving us the ‘laser’ treatment so I decided to have a look at what could be done. To my amazement the rod system at the rear is completely missing. It was there on our ND1. 

So how does the automatic headlamp adjustment work on these latest cars? Have I a bit missing? Can I adjust the base level manually?

All comments helpful or otherwise are most welcome.

You mean the rod on the near side rear? Yes that has disappeared between the ND1 & ND2. On the ND1 you could also do a software set for self levelling involving either a dealer specific tool or by shorting two of the ODBC ports in a certain sequence (which I did do once the ND1 had been lowered). 

My ND2 could do with a bit of an adjust too so will be interested to see if there’s a simpler way to do this.

I had the same issue with my ND1, dazzling other drivers. With numerous unreturned calls from my local dealer I reached for the spanner. I parked the car 10-20 meters away from a wall, marking the position on the wall. There is a white nylon nut (has a screwdriver slot) on the back of headlight assemblies which is accessible with a small spanner. My recollection is anti-clockwise lowers, clockwise raises. Just do a few 1/4 turns at a time. It’s a very easy job, just be careful to only do minor adjustments.  Then a test drive on a dark road to confirm the results.

I now no longer get flashed! 

2 Likes

Are these the same ones you adjusted your ND1 with?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/jmy9obey/

1 Like

My ND1 passed its MOT today, but only just … Although I had never noticed anything wrong it turned out that the headlights were not alighted correctly and, to my great relief, the tester adjusted them manually - presumably using the screw shown in the pics.

I bought the car in May 2021 so it had one previous MOT, but this issue was not picked up then. I am very much hoping that all is well now and that I don’t have problems with the auto-levelling system.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: ND Headlamp Conversion For The Continent

Being as this topic has been resurrected, the headlamps use the signal from the “lateral G” or combined sensor that’s in the air bag module for levelling.

1 Like