Headlight oxidising

Good evening all, now I know you’re all going to think I’m loosing my marbles, but I used MrSheen, the original. This also works on raw aluminium. So if anyone has there rocker covers vapour blasted as I did, I was told ,not to do anything except spray on mr sheen, its something to do with the wax. And boy, does it work. These are all tips I have collected along my 40 years as an engineer, i own an engineering company that can literally repair anything. So if anyone needs advice on all things broken, drop me an email. Goodnight all, Shaun.

2 Likes

Handy to know. Thanks Shaun :+1:

Brilliant ideas for cleaning the lights. I’ll give the toothpaste a go now. :+1: thanks to all!

Tried the toothpaste, actually the 3 colour Aquafresh Triple Protection, they have come up a treat and smell good too !

2 Likes

I’ve used the toothpaste trick a few times, but the oxidation and cloudiness always starts coming back within months. It needs some UV protection layer to prevent it, but I don’t know what to use. Most articles talk about spraying some clear coat, but that feels like quite an operation removing the headlight units to do that. Does anyone have an easier option?

To protect against UV use the Armourall wipes or or a UV protection fluid wiped on. Just make sure you’ve thoroughly cleaned the lenses first.

Mask off the areas arounf the headlights and just spray with the UV protector coat

The Armourall wipes look like a godsend, I’ll definitely give them a try. Thank you! Braver souls might be competent to mask off the headlights and spray them in-situ, however I still have the memory of an unfortunate DIY overspray accident etched into my memory