Heads-up - Screwfix survey scam

Just a heads-up on a very convincing e-mail scam in the form of a prize of a 170 piece Stanley tool set from Screwfix if you complete their survey. It is a lot more convincing than most with pretty Screwfix Xmas images, coherent text and satisfied customer testimonials. The catch comes at the end of the survey when all you have to do to receive it is to send them postage. Needless to say, you won’t be getting your prize.

Coincidentally I was in my local Screwfix yesterday so initially thought it was related to that but caution prevailed as it does with free offers and I investigated it sandboxed. The only slip-up I could see was a reference to $400,000 (dollars, not pounds) on one of the screens. A good anti-virus program should pick this up (Bitdefender did) but best to beware of any of these “You’ve won a . . . .” messages.

Good catch Andy - thank you.

Ok not a prize draw but…

I keep getting asked by email to notify Photobucket if I want to keep or cancel my account and/or save my pictures.

I cancelled my account many years ago and took all my pictures off. Another abnormality is I had a different email address registered with them which has now been defunct since I left Virgin Media a few years ago. I have never given out my current email to them ever.

So if I responded to their requests (guessing they are scammers) they then have confirmation it is me and try and glean other stuff from me.

1 Like

I’ve been receiving the Photo bucket emails, never even had an account!

Yesterday I had one with an identical format to the Screwfix scam but it was for a free mixer from John Lewis.

I must be the luckiest bloke alive, I’ve won more oral b electric tooth brushes from boots than you could imagine.
I win about 10 per week.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.