Heavy gear stick judder in 6th gear

1. My model of MX-5 is: mk2 Icon, 75000 miles
  2. I’m based near: Nantwich Cheshire
  3. I’m looking for technical recommendations on: gerbox vibration through the stick but only in 6th.
    Hi all my first post, I’ve just inherited my fathers year 2000 mx5 icon, he had it from new, I just drove it home today (150) miles after very limited use over the last two years. It ran extremely well except for a vibration through the gear stick, but only in 6th. It didn’t seem to affect performance, any thoughts on the likely problem?
    She’s a great looking car spent her whole life garaged haven’t had a chance to check underneath yet, but I’m hopeful with the good pedigree she will be sound. Any feedback on the gearbox vibration welcome.

You problem could be as simple checking the upper and lower gear shifter boots. These do wear/split and become sloppy in operation maybe causing the vibration?

1 Like

Engine mounts split at about that age, causing the engine and gearbox and thus the gear lever to move around as you add or remove throttle.

But if that is the issue you’d expect it to move around in all gears and you’d have noticed and mentioned that it’s throttle dependant.

If it’s a heavy judder and it’s only in 6th gear then your car might be the only one I’ve ever heard of with a faulty 6th gear.

It is only in 6th the stick judders quite a bit, not undrivable in anyway, but more annoying than anything else. And It is when under load, easing off when you take your foot off the gas, just my luck if it is the box!

I’m at Donington Park on the 26th. So if not fixed by then bring it along and I’ll try to diagnose for you. I’m intrigued.

Does the judder still happen if you accelerate to a speed in 6th and then change down into 5th and maintain the same speed?

I once had a Mk2 that was owned by multi millionaires who, believe it or not, allowed the Korean tyres to become 8 years old. That car did some strange things, including turning hard left on acceleration at motorways speeds. It turned out that the inside sidewall on the right rear had delaminated, causing the tyre to expand on acceleration, pushing the car left.

So it’s perhaps worth looking at the ages of the tyres. They’re marked in an raised oval shape on the sidewall in four digits. 1815, for instance, would mean they were made in week 18 of 2015 and are due to be binned. If they are old, for decent but well priced replacements try Arrowspeeds from Kwik Fit.

Many thanks for that, it’s under acceleration in 6th, disappearing when you lift off and totally normal when you drop a gear and continue accelerating. With regard to the tyres matched pairs front and rear, but all over 15 years old!!! So I will make that my first action, let’s see what that does.

Welcome, Graeme. I love that family connection for your car! Wishing you many happy miles with it

Nick
(from just across the Cheshire plain)

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome Nick, any local runs/ groups in the area that I should tag into?

Hi Graeme,

There is a “Cheshire and North Wales” local group. I think @Maisie (= Teri) can give you more info on when they meet, and on any runs they have planned.

Nick

1 Like

Hi Graeme, all our planned runs etc are on the area calendar

Our next meeting is on January 17th (a week later than usual) at the Antrobus Arms CW9 6JD at 8pm if you want to pop along and say hello :wave:
Would be great to meet you

Teri

Thanks Maise thats great, I wont be able to make the 17th Jan, but will keep an eye on the diary and aim to get to meet the group later in the season.
Graeme

Any luck with swapping tyres?

I’ve taken her off the road for a couple of months, so it will be on the todo list in the spring. I’ll keep you posted on what effect new tyres has.