Hello from Dromore Co. Down

Hello, I am new to the forum, I live in Dromore Co. Down and recently purchased a 1991 MK1 MX5. It is British Racing Green with a tan interior.

Originally it was imported a few years ago and the original owners idea was to make it a track day car, it had the camber and timing altered, AC removed and a full engine rebuild with induction kit, stainless steel exhaust gas adjustable shocks and lowered springs. Additionally it had TSW gun metal grey alloys fitted.

It is a bit rough round the edges, the interior could do with a spruce up (I have this week added chrome “style bars” and a tan leather tonneau cover) but a packet of baby wipes and a bottle of “son of a gun” I think is on the cards.

Additionally the gear change is a bit ratchety, especially into 1st and reverse, and there is a “click” or knock from the front left suspension under extreme cornering, the electric windows are a “Bit slow” and there is virtually no resistance in the clutch (think this is linked to the gear box issue). Finally the paintwork while fine looking at the car has a few issues under close inspection. Generally the car is rust free, but there are a few little “bubbles” round the a-posts and front windscreen, mostly have been treated but not fixed, and there are a few patches on the paintwork where the paint is very thin, one on the boot is almost translucent.

Running wise though (touch wood) its great! Starts every time, first time, goes like a train and sounds like a blooming ferrari! 

Anyway, hello to everyone, hope to get along to a meet (family permitting…I have 4 kids under 12 and a wife who works weekends so saturday and sunday are hectic!). Any advice or suggestions on how to cheaply (in bold lol) deal with my niggles is greatly appreciated!

David.Laughing

My car

My car

My car

Hi David and Welcome,

Seems you have a sound mx5 from what you describe. Mechanicals are bullet proof so no worry with the gearbox, oil change will sort that but do consider that the shift is supposed to be bolt action as part of the fun.

The suspension knock is probably just a worn anti roll bar drop link, very common issue and not difficult or expensive to repair.

If its set up for track day use and you fell its too firm there are loads of second hand shocks etc around to go back to standard which is a very very good set up anyway for everyday use.

I recently helped a mate put his mk1 back to standard shocks and springs and 14 inch  Daisy wheels and he is so pleased with the out come.

More importantly Mrs Mate is very impressed with how it drives so he`s no longer getting nagged about that bone shaker of a second car.

Good luck with it and enjoy the fun. 

Hi David welcome to the land of MX5. if you can get to one of our runs you can pick the numerous MX5 brains for help and information. click on Northern Ireland area events to see what is coming up.
Regards Peter Joint AC NI area.