Hello from Sustainable Surrey!

After a decade of doing the “secret wave” and “elaborate lamp flash” to fellow MX-5 drivers on the road, I’ve finally taken the plunge and joined the community!

I’m Suze, a decade+ owner-driver of this beautiful Sunlight Silver limited edition Arctic MX-5 from back in 2005! She’s as new with only ~23,800 miles on the clock so I hardly drive as it is, but as I work in sustainability research, I’m in the market for a new MX-5 that’s a little kinder to the environment but with all the fun of driving such a gorgeous car.

If anyone knows what I should be looking out for to ease my carbon conscience, please give me a shout! Equally, if down the line anyone would be interested in adopting my beautiful second car, let me know. She’s a beauty, but I’m struggling with the petrol guilt!

Hoping to learn more about these amazing cars from you all, and really happy to be a part of this very stylish community :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

A beautiful looking example. Surely the most sustainable solution would be to keep it in good condition mechanically and structurally until EVs become more practical and affordable?

3 Likes

That’s a possibility! I’m also looking ahead to the ULEZ zone extension and if I ever wanted to drive into London I would also be hit with a massive charge, so that’s also got me wondering whether it’s the time to sell her, as much as I adore this beautiful car, and purchase a more compliant one. It’s a tough decision!

Surely any efficiency gain on a new car will be outweighed by the environmental impact of building it in the first place, especially given the negligible mileage you do…plus you will just be selling the current car to someone else anyway so you will have pushed the (debatable) ‘problem’ elsewhere. Like selling big oil companies from your investment portfolio - guess what, a buyer has to exist to relieve you of ownership. I suspect net carbon emissions from your proposed transaction remain the same on that basis.

On the ULEZ point, just pay the charge, far cheaper than changing your car unless you plan to go into town literally dozens and dozens of times a year.

Or maybe you just fancy a change and are looking for reasons - I totally understand that!!

Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on keeping your 2.5 in such good condition. I was pleasantly surprised to find my 2002 1.8 S-VT does not attract ULEZ charges when I recently moved to London, are you sure your car does.

I am of a firm belief such a well looked after vehicle driven for 200,000 - 250,000 miles before it is scrapped would make it more sustainable than scrapping it after 20 years with such low mileage.

Finally I’ve only driven an NBFL but I really do not see any of the more recent models being more fun unless new fangled skyactive android bluetooth is a thing that floats your boat.

Wishing you interesting sustainability research…

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I’m surprised you weren’t subject to the ULEZ, as my car definitely was. It’s another reason I’m considering selling it, though I don’t even know whether it would sell, or what it is worth. I was offered £4K for it from a dealer a couple of months back, and I wasn’t considering it then, but that’s obviously better than scrapping it - she’s too wonderful and has so much more driving to do for me to want to do that!

My other problem is that we moved to a place that doesn’t have a garage, as they converted it into an office, so she’s out all the time, and I’m not sure that’s the best condition to keep her in if I just drive her over the summer. If emissions haven’t changed much, I’ll sit tight and wait until hybrid or EV options are available, but I suspect it will be a while!

2 Likes

This is true on pushing the problem up- or down-stream, and also adding to it!

Unfortunately with the amount I drive into London, it would make it very expensive indeed. I feel like someone else could be driving her around the countryside and fulfilling her car-destiny, rather than me keeping her and buying another compatable car. I just don’t know whether I am ready to sell her though!

2 Likes

Keeping her outside is not going to be a good idea unless she has good rust protection, just had mine done even though she lives in a garage, sounds like your circumstances have changed considerably since you purchased her, I am sufficiently in love with my NBFL to not consider moving anywhere where she cannot be garaged.

Welcome Suze!
Thank you for sharing. Stunning car indeed.

I’m unfamiliar with absolutely all NB model types and ULEZ specifics, though have an NB/2.5 1.8 Nevada edition from 2003 myself, which is ULEZ exempt, so the years and model types seem oddly categorised. Someone here will surely know how they determine these things.

I’m sorry yours seems to have been caught in the ULEZ trap. A real shame, if it means you won’t be able to enjoy it much longer. The £12.50 or so daily charge is burdensome, especially if your paying it daily/weekly.

As for your lovely NB (and speaking as someone who is only more recently involved in this all, so certainly no expert!), an offer of £4000 from a dealership does seem competitively low, especially given the condition and mileage. Though I guess they do need to make margins for themselves.
I suspect that if you were to take some thorough pictures and post a message onto the MX5 Sales thread, you may well attract good interest. Had I not one of my own, I’d certainly be interested myself!
She seems really lovely and well cared for, which many people here shall appreciate too. Whether or not you would get more than £4000, I’m unsure, though I suspect you’re more likely to find a genuinely appreciative new owner, whom could continue to enjoy her as you have.

As a side note, as Art_Tidesco has commented above, keeping her out of the elements - if at all possible - will help maintain the condition (especially over winter) and maximise your return, should you choose to sell it.

Very best of luck in your decision and your search for sustainability!

Isaac

1 Like

Hi All,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences here. I’ve double checked with TfL and somehow yes, she would be eligible to pay for the ULEZ charge.

I’ve also noted what has been mentioned regarding a possible sale, and perhaps that is the way forward. It’s a rubbish time to be considering this, as it’s almost Christmas, but if anyone has any advice on how best to put my beautiful car up for sale, I’d be grateful!

Happy holidays to everyone, and thanks again for being so engaged and engaging to a newbie!

Suze x

1 Like

Agreed :+1:

The theory about the most sustainable car being the one you already own has always been garbage, put about by owners of smoky old Land Rovers to make themselves feel better. Tailpipe emissions are 80% or more of lifetime emissions, and almost half the rest is directly proportional to tailpipe emissions, as it’s the emissions of extracting, refining, and transporting the fuel.

Changing to a new EV has a CO2 “payback period” much shorter than you might think. Of course, there are other considerations, such as the iffy sourcing of certain battery and motor metals, which may not be ethical. But then nor is propping up despotic Middle Eastern oil states.

Given that something like 70% of the generation of electricity is from fossil fuels, not counting the 10-12% nuclear, how sustainable is driving a 2.7 ton Audi EV able to accelerate from 0-62 in 4.5 seconds. How much energy is used in a race from the lights, compared with a 1-ton MX-5 accelerating from 0-62 in 7 seconds?
From my experience few Mazda drivers use their acceleration in this way. Unfortunately, there appears to be a growing number of EV drivers who appear to have acquired their cars for this very purpose.
Payback periods must vary depending on the car and the driver.