Help for a novice

Hello, I’m new to owning an mx5 and just as new to working on a car of any description.
I have a mk1 mx5 and have lost the key.
I have managed to open both the car and the boot however this won’t help me start it obviousley,
The help I am looking for I for someone to point me in the right direction as to exactly what I need to be searching for replace the locks and ignition that won’t cost the earth.
I hope that makes sense and thank you in advance for any help offered.

Take out the drivers door lock, it will have the key number on it. If you get stuck give me a shout.

Wonderful, thank you, I will try that tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

How are you getting on with the car?

Hi Richard, hope your well.
Managed to to three keys cut from the door barrel number. Must say I expected a bit of expense there, but got 3 for £15…

Got her started but the fan belt seems to be rubbing, causing a burning smell with a bit of smoke, which I need to investigate.

Also discovered we have no indicators at all on the passenger side. So again need to investigate.

Other than that it’s slow going as the family car decided to fall to bits on its mot.

On top of trying to refit our kitchen.

I have had a few evenings available, but as is the norm when I have a bit time the heavens open.

So fingers crossed in the next couple weeks I can get it in fir mot and see where the real problems lie.

Did see your garage open one morning with yours in. Very smart.

Craig