Help! MK3 NC2 TomTom head unit upgrade issues

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2012 MK3 NC2 Venture Edition
  2. I’m based near: Coventry
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Sanyo TomTom Headunit upgrade. Replacing with Atoto A6PF while retaining the steering wheel controls using a Connects2 adapter harness.

Hello folks,
I’m wondering if anyone has encountered a similar problem to the one I’m having regarding replacing and upgrading the existing Sanyo TomTom sat nav head unit (C850V6600B) using a steering wheel control adapter.

I have purchased a Connects2 Mazda Steering Wheel Stalk Control Adaptor - CTSMZ002.2 with hopes of retaining the steering wheel controls.

I am replacing the factory head unit with an Atoto A6 PF.

I’ve managed to wire everything up from the back of the Atoto unit with no problems and have crimped together the relevant wires (I hope - still yet to test this as you will read below).

The problem I’m having is connecting it up to the car.

I’m struggling to connect the red connector from the Connects2 adaptor to the existing factory plugs. I am unable to find any plug that is big enough to fit into the red connector. The existing white plug in the car is too small to fit into the red connector.

I have watched plenty of YouTube videos and looked on other forums, but there always seem to be 1/2 things that are different when compared to my model/spec.

I have attached photos showing the existing factory wiring to help show this.

Do I possibly have the wrong Connects2 adapter? I have reached out to them to ask, but I am yet to receive a reply.

Any help or advice would be great, thanks!

You’ll need to trace back from that white plug on the end of the loom you unplugged from the Tom Tom nav. It could be wrapped in a foam sheath, further down that loom should be another connection, this is where you plug your orange connector to.
So you’ll have a spare piece of loom, keep this with the nav head unit you’ve removed.

Mick is correct.
Did it a couple of years ago.
The TomTom was added as an end of production item.
The plug you need will be tucked away at the back.
Come back to me if you need any help at all. :+1:

1 Like

Guys, thank you so much for your advice - you were both spot on!

It was REALLY tucked away up towards the driver’s side (RHD) and covered in a thin, grey foam material. I also had to cut a few factory cable ties to loosen it out of its resting place.

I’ve attached a few photos of the head unit working along with my best attempt at trying to show where the plug is for anyone else who may need a reference.

Thanks, Tom

Nice one :+1:

How are you fitting it into the dash?

Good man.
If you ever decide to fit a reverse camera into the new head the “Single” Green wire is the one that goes left behind the glove box and rearwards.
Enjoy as far better than the original. :+1:

1 Like

The head unit I’ve got fits straight into the factory facia

2 Likes