Help! Mystery engine cut-out

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2003 NBFL 1.8 vvt
  2. I’m based near: Bedford
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: A mysterious cut-out!

Morning all,

I’m having a bit of a nightmare problem with the NB, I’m stumped and it’s with a mechanic at the moment who is stumped as well!

Will go over the problem, and a bit of background as well,

It’s an issue with the engine cutting out - almost always around a junction or roundabout etc, usually in the form of a ‘hair trigger’ stall, but often before even lifting the clutch (just touching the throttle can cause it while stationary). It will also sometimes cut out while pulling off, after clutch is up, and while on a fair bit of throttle even. Most of the time, it will restart straight away, but sometimes it won’t, only restarting after 5 minutes or so. It starts absolutely fine, and won’t cut out once you’re properly going, it’s only shortly after or while stopped.

In terms of background, the car has broadly been reliable since I bought it in the summer, it had some starting issues which were fine after changing the battery (which I keep isolated when not used). After a while and pretty regular use it developed another problem starting, whereby it would struggle to start after it had been sat for a couple days. I fitted a roll bar which took longer than anticipated and so put it off the road for a couple of weeks, which was the nail in the coffin for this issue, which was fixed with a new crankshaft position sensor in the end (also changed the starter motor, coils, leads and plugs looking to fix this (I know)). This issue has only materialised after getting it back from having the starter motor and crank sensor done (also got an back box fitted at the same time).

I thought the cam position sensor might be the culprit and would be an easy change, so did that, but to no avail.

Now it’s with a mechanic who is excellent, but he can’t replicate the issue (has had it on a rolling road and it won’t cut out) and doesn’t know what it could be, so we thought we’d ask for a bit of advice - see if anyone has had similar?

Picture because it looks cool…

1 Like

I had pretty much the same problem once it got hot on an older MK2.5 … Turned out to be either the crank or camshaft sensors … I replaced them both and solved the problem … Hope that helps :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Similar answer to @Tristan67 I had a similar issue with my MK2.5. It happened after changing my timing belt and water pump that was due to the crankshaft position sensor being knocked out of alignment during install, slightly loosening the bolt holding it in. I re-aligned the crankshaft position sensor and nipped up the bolt which fixed the issue for me. Hope this helps :+1:

2 Likes

I’ve known of an incorrectly routed wire for the crank sensor to rub on the back of the water pump pulley causing it to short out. The symptoms were similar to yours, I think that the movement of the car caused it to touch intermittently so maybe why it can’t be replicated on the rolling road.

1 Like

I agree, crank sensor most likely culprit, make sure gap to pulley is small enough and as stated above check wiring, loom for mine was rubbing but caught it before it wore through. Check pins in plug also, I had a dodgy pin in plug to cooling fans which could easily happen if you’ve changed it and not always easy to spot.

1 Like

Thanks all, sounds like crank sensor the culprit! Have spoken to mechanic and we’re gonna have a look - will update when I can!

1 Like

hi.
My mk1 eunos used to stall as soon as I put it in reverse to back of of my garage Sometimes it was ok So one of those annoying intermittent problems.
It is the car I am searching for having sold it and wish I hadnt.

1 Like

that is her

2 Likes