Hibernation tips required

My first winter with my little MX and she won’t be garaged. I’ve bought a lined cover for her that should keep the wet out but alas not the damp or moisture.
Any tips from seasoned addicts or owners please.

Try “Search”.
Lots of various threads.

Minimum I would do if outside, get an half cover if you have a soft top to protect it. Strip/check/grease (slide pins) the brakes and park up with dry pads/discs and leave the car in gear, handbrake off. Chock wheels if on a slope. Pump the tyres up over and above the normal, say around 5-8psi more. You can get wheel covers to protect them.
Remove the battery and keep it on a maintainence charger or you can leave and do the same in the car if you can get power to it.
Periodically check the car during its lay up removing covers, giving a once over clean and check. Put it on sorn if off road but leave the insurance on it.

1 Like

Great advice Mick thank you. I won’t pretend and say I’d thought about a majority of the items as I hadn’t. I am one of the saddo MX5 drivers who have the top down whenever I can (with many looks, don’t care) so was hoping I’d be able to take her out on the odd sunny day…… but I will follow that list. Thank you

I would say if it’s kept outside all year use it. Even if it’s on dry days in winter, it’ll keep the systems functioning. But if laid up for weeks/months without use then do the minimum to protect it as above.
Not sure mine will be sorned this winter, undecided on that one. I get to the point as in one winter the car never got used for two months as the weather was mostly c r a p. It gets garaged though but I still do the stuff above but chuck a big sheet over it for protection, against dust mainly.

3 Likes

Don’t forget CTEK battery maintainer of course.

1 Like

I bought half a cover and returned it soon after. It wasn’t tight completely, and whilst waterproof condensation did build up, and saw white spots appear, which may have turned into mould. Also you gave to rewaterproof the cover regularly. So didn’t see the point in waterproofing both the roof and the cover.
Just my opinion.