High Mileage NC

Opinions/advice please, say I could get a 2005 NC 2.0l Anniversary, with years MOT with no advisories, but has 230,000 miles, but still in pretty good condition, apart from a small bit of rust on one wheel arch. Assuming I could get the seller to accept a good price, like £1000, worth buying? Or due to the mileage not? Thanks!

Even if this was a hypothetical question, I would still stay away from it.

13k a year for 18 years would surely mean that has been driven constantly, throughout winters and that would mean a lot of rust hiding in it, or already been filled and sprayed.

No MOT advisories… Look through the previous ones and see if they are the same. If so, then it can’t be right.

Just save a bit more and get a low mileage decent one with service history, or one that has been recommended by someone who knows his cars👍.

2 Likes

Agree with above, also which model is it really, there wasn’t an anniversary model in 2005, it was probably what’s called a launch edition if it’s red. Nevertheless I’d be surprised if it’s rust free.:+1:

1 Like

With that mileage and rust on the wheel arch that can cost over £ 1000 for a new arch alone . Agree with above. Look for one with lower mileage they are out there .

I beg to differ, with a years MOT, looking to be in good condition, and running well. Has to be worth £1k.

If it was £3k, I’d agree.

3 Likes

Depends on how long you want it last and what do you want to do with it……1 year life only you may be ok. At that mileage, the engine is sloppy and every mating/moving surface is worn so it won’t drive well if you want to push it even slightly……noooooooo

Check for matching block-chassis numbers.
Nowt wrong with star-ship mileages if it’s been serviced properly…although 230k miles does seem a bit of a b.u.m tightner to some.
My Mk1 1840cc is about 246 KMs and still tight as a duck’s wotsits.
KMs mind not miles…but still.
Our 2002 Sport is at 108,000 miles and it’s oil is still honey coloured when changed out roughly every 4/5k…also tight as new…zero top end rattles from the solid lifters…nowt. And no metal sludge on the sump nut.z
My nephew’s 83 Opel Monza 6 pot is sweet & tight at over 300k miles. It had a transplant out a Police Senator patrol car about 15 years back that was written off with 260k miles on.

Body rot, especially hidden nooks, is quite another matter. It WILL have some rot…just a question of degree and where. Probably nail it for a late £ hundreds if you are hard enough. And…it aint a galloping MOT money pit in which case it’s utterly pointless.

1 Like

As said, depends what you want from it. The cheapest new MX-5 is £5k down, over £300 a month and still £11K left to pay.
I know quite a few people who spend a grand or so on a car and throw it away when it breaks. If it lasts 4 months, you are already ahead of the monthly payments of what people are paying on a Kia Picanto and with a year’s MOT, you would hope for at least 11 months which puts you in to top down motoring for less than £100 per month.

1 Like

And I knew someone who said they went annually to the local car sales place with £50 in their pocket and would then leave with a car that had a years MOT on it, this was in the early 2000’s mind.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.