Holiday Cancellations

Hi Mick

My daughter and I had a holiday booked in France commencing 6th June 2020 but we could not travel out of England; FCO advice and Brittany ferries had cancelled their normal passenger service. I have been hit by a double whammy in that though Brittany had cancelled the ferry a couple of weeks before we were due to leave. I had paid the balance of their ticket cost when it was requested way back in April to keep within the contract though it was pretty obvious the ferry would not be running eight weeks later. When finally advised that the ferry would not be running, we were offered a rebooking for later in 2020 or 2021. This was a special occasion trip, June this year or not at all, so it was a case of requesting a refund. Though I could have rebooked a new crossing in minutes, getting a refund is considerably more difficult.

After some searching though the Brittany website I found an on-line form for a refund and duly completed it. Nearly two weeks after my sailing date, almost a month after the crossing was cancelled and still no refund, I have contacted my bank and they are initiating a charge-back for failing to provide paid for contracted goods and services.

The French accommodation had been booked through Booking.com and that is the last time I will use that company. Weeks before our holiday date, when we knew we would not be able to get to France, we contacted Booking.com to request a refund (around £1,000) as we would not be allowed or able to leave the country. They stated that in line with their conditions, our only option was to cancel the booking and forfeit half the costs paid. We kept stating that we were not cancelling – we could not legally either leave England or, if we got to France, travel over there. They were adamant we either cancelled or went on the trip. They did however provide a contact for the accommodation.

We then contacted the French property management company (in England) who advised us that Booking.com are holding all fees paid and that the accommodation would not get any until the date of our arrival. Getting to the accommodation was down to us and if we did not make it, we would be treated as “no show” clients and lose all the money. We asked if they could advise Booking.com that they themselves wished to cancel the booking so that all our monies could be refunded and we would look to rebook later next year - its a location we have enjoyed several times in the past. Their reply was that as per local French government instruction, hotels were to remain open. Missing clients take the loss (or their insurance company) rather than the French business. Another charge back initiated through the credit card used.

We take the MX5 to France 2 or 3 times a year and often negotiate accommodation direct with the hostelry. We have used Booking.com a few times in the past but after this instance not again. I will get a price guide from them and offer that as it will be more than the property will get after Booking.com take out their commission. I know there is sometimes the option to cancel at no cost with Booking.com but if I’ve booked to go to France, I’m going (or its an insurance claim).

I hope you get it all sorted one way or another.:thinking:
It’s very messy ATM for the holiday and travel industry, feel sorry for those involved all round really to try and sort it out, very trying times if you’ve booked or operate in the industry.
It’s taught me to definitely not pay up front without a absolute guarantee of all my monies back. Pay by credit card and don’t use a certain company again as some have found out maybe to their cost.
Even following the above it could all go sour, fortunately I’ve come out of it ok ish, others not so.:thinking:
When we come to book again, next year maybe, it’s going to be a testing time. I’ll certainly try and book with the same accommodations I had to cancel this year. The ones who’ve showed the greatest understanding and been so kind to refund more or less no quibble, I have to repay them by offering my bookings again.

I would go with that but sadly it could be they are the ones who go out of business when their cash runs out! Its a terrible situation for many and I think certainly shows up the likes of booking dot com in these circumstances.

Had a bit of good news - Brittany ferries literally sent an email yesterday to advise that full refund would be credited to card account within 5 days for the outgoing ferry on 6th June and return trip on on the 12th June. It appears that normally they would treat outgoing and return crossings as separate trips and would require the customer to cancel both crossings. Either they’ve been monitoring this Forum or taken the decision that as the return crossing was also cancelled by them, they’d best return all the ticket cost. Like this stance and more than likely to use them again with confidence as we have done in the past.
An awful lot better than an easyjet refund we are waiting for. They’ve told us not to expect to hear from them, or even to consider contacting them again, to ask about progress for at least 90 days from the cancelled flight date. See what their reaction would be to a charge back as compared supposedly with Ryanairs. A story in the press a few weeks ago (https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/11674742/ryanair-customers-blacklisted-refunds-chargeback/suggested) suggested Ryanair would put passengers who used charge back on a sort of “naughty list” and decline them further flights with the airline. Such a suggestion was rejected by Ryanair.

At least you feel like you are getting somewhere, good stuff.:+1:
Fortunately after a couple of holidays abroad we don’t have the problem of foreign travel and cancellations, rearranged flights etc. My missus refuses to go on them​:disappointed_relieved: I’ve tried but she’s a stay at home (UK) person :roll_eyes:

Not a problem for us.

We would never, ever, even consider flying with Ryanair again. Thieving lying scoundrels who do everything to deflect you from legit claims because twice THEY cancelled flights and expected us to pay late booking premium prices on their replacements, worse than BA. We had to use them because they were the only operator to that airport.

After that we used the train, much better, cheaper (in France in August at Grand Vacance time) no weight limit, and not much slower door to door.