Hood replacement / seat upgrades in Oxon

Hi all,

Finally got a mk1, after having had a mk2 and mk2.5 previously. 

This one has a vinyl roof and plastic rear screen, and has some minor cracks in the roof. I’m planning on replacing the roof with a mohair one with glass screen. Can anyone recommend somewhere local to get this done?

Also, if anyone knows a place that can leather cover my seats, that would be great. 

After lots of bits to bring the new car to its former glory, if anyone’s got bits they’re looking to sell, please drop me a note.

Thanks,

Peter

AutolinkThumbs up

M-m

I know it’s not particularly local to you, but Jack Smith here in Swansea does outstanding work. He will make and fit a mohair hood with a glass window for your MkI for £280.00 all in.

He will also re-upholster your seats, door cards, etc. in leather for a very good price indeed.

Swansea isn’t that far from you and he took a little less than 3 hours to fit my hood. You can do a search for Jack Smith on here or I will dig out his number for you if you want?

Here’s his number 01792 461022 Cool

Thanks guys. 

I’ve heard good things about Jack Smith… I’ll give him a call and see about doing the seats at the same time. 

Don’t tell the bank manager… 

Does anyone have a website address for Jack Smith, or photos of some of their work?

He doesn’t have a web-site and probably never will, but there are a couple of other Mazda accessory dealers who have asked him to make hoods for them and they sell hoods for over £400. Jack also makes hoods for Saab, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc.

I guess the only photos you’ll get are from other people who have had their hoods made by him. He is a very small 2 man operation with minimum overheads and this is why he can make and fit hoods so competitively. No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Thanks to everyone for suggesting Jack Smith in Swansea…  I’ve been there today, and an excellent job done for much less cost than the competition!  I’m planning a return visit at some point for him to do my seats in leather too. 

For anyone considering a visit, from my experience today, you’ll need to book about two weeks in advance. It’s not a big operation, it’s a couple of guys operating out of a garage on a back street in Swansea. If it wasn’t for recommendations from OC members, I’d have been put off by the look of the place, but the work speaks for itself and low overheads mean cheap prices. 

Even with a tank of petrol (and Severn Bridge roll!) it was cheaper than elsewhere. And I managed to take my mum to Swansea for the day to make a day of it. About 15 mins walk into Swansea town centre, and a bus to Mumbles for lunch at Verdi’s overlooking the sea. 

All in all, a big thumbs up from me.