Hoop rubbing on the Mk4 ND

Hi all , picking up my ND next week :slight_smile:

not sure if this has been asked or discussed as yet , but has anyone else with MK4 ND noticed the roof front edge rubbing the plastic hoop trim when roof is is down position .

whilst at my dealer today all the demos have been rubbing the hoops :frowning:

the only way round it would appear to be latch roof from the outside whilst pushing down on rear of roof to click it in position :frowning:

Although this method leaves about a 5 mm gap between roof n hoop the car was Demonstrated to me by Mazda UK at launch event by folding roof whilst sat in car, this is fine if you can put up with damage to the hoops and ultimately will prob damage the roof :frowning:

has as anyone else had this ? Has a solution been found for sitting in car and folding roof down whilst maintaining a gap ?

apart from this I can’t wait to get my car 

I spotted a discussion on the French forum today regarding this with also a link to the miata site.
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=591981
Will be checking mine when I pick it up and also having a look at the demo cars.

jim

Hi, yeah I’ve read a lot about it on the Miata forum but hadn’t seen anything here ie UK cars.

i hope it isn’t a real issue in reality 

Not noticed it so far, I’m doing the unclip then seat the window while pushing the hood into the lock, will keep an eye on it.

Out of interest, how does it say to lock the roof open in the Owners Manual? Does that say to press on the back edge?

Step 8 (yes really)

With the back end of the convertible top pressed, press the front end until a latch sound is heard. Lightly rock the retracted convertible top to make sure it is securely locked.

Yes it does section 3-9/10

There is a technical bulletin about this problem and in the US some tops have already been replaced. I don’t think Mazda has a final solution though it sound like the interim one is to reposition the hoop covers further forward with spacing washers. I have stuck a couple of strips of draft excluder on the sharp edge and sure enough the are getting chewed at by the hood edge. Something will have to be done!

I’ve always raised and lowered my ND’s hood as per instruction manual, result, no rubbing.  Maybe the problem is not with the hood but with the users?  

1 Like

Mazda’s instructions for lowering and raising the hood clearly state that you should be “Standing outside of the vehicle”.  Any advice on lowering and raising the hood from the seat is not official or recommended but purely hearsay of a comment made by a journalist in a review, “It’s so simple it can be done from the driver’s seat”.  Yes, it can be done, but it’s not the proper way and therefore the responsibility for any damage is the user’s.  Unfortunately this seems to be another example of the “Blame/Claim culture”  originating in the USA and becoming more evident here.  “I did it my way, screwed it up, blamed somebody else and sued them”.  Pathetic!

A little less of the goody two shoes I think , smiple question is this the first MX5 where the owner has to get out of the car to lower the roof?

I’m very disappointed that to keep the roof from rubbing I have to get out the car to lower the roof . Like others have said the pre launch events had the guys from Mazda UK showing us how easy the roof lowers from the seated position. At the launch event no one had the manual to read through so we were all wrongly shown how the roof operated by the Mazda UK demo team . I really hope they just alter the shape of the plastic hoop so the roof can be operated sat inside the car with the knowledge the roof will not rub anything.

dont get me wrong I cannot wait to get my car on the 30th October and I will operate roof as per instructions but will keep a close eye on any updates on a solution to solve the problem .

Country boy I think you’re missing the point, As far as we were concerned the way we were shown by Mazda demo guys was the correct way . You say no supporting evidence and just hearsay . I went and checked out 4 of the demo cars at my local dealer and where they had been opening roof sat in car ( like as shown in demo ) all hoops were damaged and rubbing. They now open roofs as per instructions and there is a gap behind hoop. If the Mazda guys had shown everyone they needed to get out car to open roof I’m not so sure there would be the long delays in delivery as I think a lot of people may have waited…maybe not me as I love the car but least I would have known the complete score on opening the roof.

As for picking different car… Not an option as I pick mine up on Friday and I can’t wait 

I understand what you’re saying and my point is that I was shown that way by the demonstrator myself in early Agust, but his wording was very similar to that used by a well know journalist in their review, along the lines that raising and lowering the hood was a one clip job which was so simple it could be done from the driver’s seat (Richard Hammond, “Top Gear” magazine,  March 2015 ed.).  Just shows you how much influence “Top Gear” had,  what their presenters said, or wrote became gospel.  Once  I’d collected my car and got it home on 27th August,  I spent the evening reading the owners handbook, thereafter doing things as they should be done, with no problems or complaints.

Great little car, I love it. 

Like I said , I can’t wait to pick my car up this Friday ( hopefully ) . I ordered mine after I had an overnight test drive , no hesitation as I couldn’t wipe the grin off my face lol

Its was so much better than the mk3 we had a few years back .

i can live with the roof issues but I still hope Mazda will sort it so we can lower the roof as we were shown by Demo guys and reporters ect 

1 Like

I pick my car up on Tuesday.

There are 3 years warranty on it.

Mazda are aware of the issue. 3 years to get sorted.

Put your handbags away

Yes the roof can be lowered in such a way that there is plenty of clearance but will it stay in that position? I’m hoping for a sunny day so that I can answer that question soon.

No, I think the NC owners manual says to lower it from outside the car also. TBH, I would be too supprised if all models say to do that.

Mark 4 Hood

Looking at my hood it just misses thr hoops by about 4m/m,i agree with you it is very tight and care needs top be taken,it seems strange that it was not spotted when designing the car,think the idea of moving the hoops slightly forward and spacing a little seems safest and best  solution,are the bolts easily accessable,i have not looked closely yet,has any one else done this,i would like to know.

All best Simon