How bad is this rust

How bad would you say this rust is? This only started appearing a few months ago

It looks like it has had some work done on it before with the sill protection, but I would suggest that the rust has been busy for a long time and has now decided to break through.
You have a lot of work underneath to stop this.

It looks like a previous owner has just painted over the rusty cill. I suspect there will be considerably more rust underneath to the chassis and subframe members, but if you’re lucky maybe not.

I have receipts to say it had both sills welded and painted about 8’000km ago back in 2018, so hopefully not.

If its not done properly, then rust will be more than happy to continue its journey.
Get underneath and have a look.
You will soon see what is (or isn’t) there…

6 years for a weldy/filler/paint makeover job is about fair TBH. Don’t lose heart…all the bits are available…at a price of which only you can decide it’s viability. Anything can be done properly wih suitable cash injections. Fixing 2 rotting 5s side by side for 15 years is one reason I run a Suzuki Swift turbo 4 wheeled missile now…we were just both getting too old and sick! But I miss my Mk1.
Until ita opened up, anyhing from £800.00 to £1,500 PER SIDE is in theory possible if its a keeper. If not…probably best flip it really.

1 Like