How best to repair stone chips

It has been 9 months but have now had my first stone chip ( first of many I suspect), has anyone had any joy with Chipex products or is using the Mazda touch up paint from MX5 parts a better bet?

Any thoughts would be very welcome,thanks

Hi
I’m certainly no mechanic and my maintenance skills are pretty basic, so its round to my local garage for most things, but I did buy some touch up paint for my silver 5 from Halfords who mixed it via my reg No, its a good match and comes in a small tube with a tiny brush inside, for dabbing a small blob onto a stone chip.
I found that getting the right amount on was not easy as it goes on in a small blob but flattens a little when dry , so a couple of applications fills the chip and from a few paces back is virtually invisible, I have a small lacquer pen as well , but the chips are so small I have just used the paint .
Hope this is of some help, although you will probably have other solutions posted soon.

Boz

1 Like

Cheers Boz, very helpful thanks, always pleased to hear of others experiences, Chipex sounds interesting but very pricey and not sure it’s worth the extra unless others disagree

As above I just use the touch up paint but use my own brush, a fine artist brush. Be patient and apply a few coats then finish with lacquer.

1 Like

I use a Cocktail Stick with a small amount of paint on it then place the point in the center of the damaged area using multiple applications.

2 Likes

Thanks all, very helpful

thanks again for the advice, I have filled the small chip slowly with a few layers but despite being careful and using a small artist brush there are tiny amounts sitting “proud”, are there any gadgets or suggested ways of removing these without damaging the existing soft paintwork?

1400 Grit Wet and Dry then Polish the surrounding area