How do I get inside the headrest speakers?

I see there’s a seam around the plastic box, but I can’t make the slightest headway prising it open.

I’m keeping the car stock so the inevitable suggestions to just get better speakers will have to stay, I’m afraid. And is also the reason I don’t want to avoid damaging the box.

I need to get inside because the car had few working speakers when I got it. And after my attempt, I’ve gone from one working headrest speaker to none. I had alreadt checked and cleaned the connections under the seats, so any suggestions related to that would also be welcome.

Thanks!

There’s a zip on them
Inside the flaps on the headrests

I’m referring to the black plastic boxes that house the speakers and wires themselves inside the headrest foam.

The boxes are held in place by screws. The speakers are glued into the boxes. You have to destroy the speakers pretty much to get them out of the boxes…

See:

I suggest you might have broken a wire when cleaning the connectors.

1 Like

Okay, thanks. The speakers are easy enough to replace, the boxes not so much, that’ll do.

I did the cleaning on an earlier occasion, and already only had one working door speaker. They’ve all been a bit intermittent at some point. I’ll check the connectors again more thoroughly.

I replaced the Mk1 headrest speakers with these (2 sets required). My original speakers had, basically, turned to dust and the cardboard was literally falling to pieces.

A small amount of the original foam had to be cut away but that was the only thing to do.

CAR SPEAKERS 4" JVC - 2 sets required

Jeff