How do our cars/motorbikes define us as petrol heads?

Some nice choices there, I loved my SV650 (carbed) which was lightly upgraded and immaculate. The Street Triple is quite simply the most lovely engine I’ve ever experienced - and I’ve owned 3 VFRs… :sunglasses:

The Deauville is a massively underrated bike IMHO :+1:

What did you think of the 206CC?

1 Like

Totally agree - my Ipod playlist spans 1949 (Billie Holiday and lots of old jazzers) up to hip hop from last year.

I’ll never stop searching for new music - AND buying older stuff on CD for £2-3 that vinyl hipsters have traded in!

The Deauville is a lovely bike! Comfy, economical, and plenty quick enough for me! I only sold that because I bought the MX5 and didn’t have enough time for two weekend toys. People refer to it as a “dullville” but its genuinely an everyday bike that does the job nicely.

The 206CC I bought while my MX5 was having lots of work done. My only gripe is that in winter the insides of the windows were dripping wet with condensation. Other than that, I was happily surprised by it! I had to flush the coolant system because until then it was running hot, but other than that I had no issues. Sold it to a friend. Would definitely recommend as a fun car that’s at the bottom of its depreciation. I paid £1000 and sold 6 months later for £950

1 Like

I swapped my NB (which had 72000 miles) for a late, 30000 mile CC. It was the Allure with all the bits and a leather interior, but I always missed the handling of the MX5.

When the roof stuck down (twice) and it started cutting out it was off to PX city…

My 206CC was an S model, and it had leather inside too. The roof always worked for me, and I regularly gave it a soaking of WD40.
I had a Vauxhall Tigra (at 3 years old) and the roof failed a few times. Once I had to manually wind it closed (took ages), and other times it just wouldn’t open. Then carried on working suddenly again! :man_shrugging:
Which MX5 do you have these days?

1 Like

Re the CC roof, the first time it failed I think a sudden gust of wind tripped a microswitch and my garage reset it. The second time my briefcase dislodged the “curtain” when I was driving home with the top down at night. That led to it being left in my drive covered by a tarp and although my garage got it back up, it couldn’t be reset so I just had a coupe from then on…

My car’s a 2007 2.0 Icon in stormy blue, only mods are a hard top with carbon wrap, OE foglamps (hated the look of the factory blanking mouldings) + 2 sets of wheels/tyres for winter & summer

1 Like

Bikes wise. Gsxr 750, ZZR1100, Blackbird, Fireblade, BMW GS1100 and back to Honda for a CBR600.
Cars? Too numerous but currently the MX5, Landy 90, proper mini and Autotune Gemini kitcar. Too many are projects so good job the Mazda is reliable.

1 Like

Definite pattern of wanting more speed and fun here…even when the car needed to be kid friendly.! Obviously my winning blue being my latest addition is by far the most fun to drive :grin:

20210131_224957|690x376

1 Like

I know this is about mx5’s but my fav car was my grandads Austin allegro that I got when I was 17. Since then I’ve had alsorts but nothing will ever give the freedom that I got from that petrol leaking white delight.

2 Likes

It’s funny how, at 33, I’ve only just had the financial stability to actually own a car. Am also a big Triumph (bikes, not the cars) girl and have spent plenty time on Hondas and Harleys. The funny thing is, my MX5 is turning me into a proper car girl and I think she’s also teaching me to be a better driver. I’m excited for the journey (pardon the pun!). I’ve definitely enjoyed learning how to fix things or do mods myself- it’s a whole new skill set and tremendous fun.

1 Like

And getting bigger, too. Yaris was a brilliant car. I had one just like that.

Loved my Yaris, it was a VVTi and pretty nippy considering the model!

1 Like

I’m seriously considering a Yaris for next winter so I can garage the 5.

60 mpg, cheap to tax/insure and £2k for a decent one - what’s not to love?

1 Like

Yaris’s (Yarii??) have a great reputation for reliability. The older the model, the more reliable - but that may just be down to there being less technology.

Ive known many a driver in owners clubs that have a small hatchback or city car for commuting and winter. In fact, when I first bought my MX5 I also had a Fiat Panda, because it worked out better value than using the MX5 7 days a week.

2 Likes

Im the other way round, my MX5 is my more cost effective run around compared to my X5 which costs a fortune to run. Plus the MX5 heats up much quicker in the winter than the monster truck as my kids call it. And obviously it is the go to as soon as the sun is shining.

1 Like

I had the Honda SS50 :grimacing::grimacing:

2 Likes

When I had a Vauxhall Tigra twintop that heated up super quick too because of a small cabin (and heated seats!)

2 Likes

Something like this, not all images are of the actual vehicles…

Mine was NEB 755R 1992 - 1994

Mine was D187AJB 1994 - 1996

1996 - 1998

1998 - 1999

1999 - 2011

2003 - 2004

2004 - 2004

2004 - 2004

2004 - 2007

2007 - 2012

2011 - Current

2012 - 2017

And then company cars.

2015 - 2016

2016 - 2016

2016 - Current

And since I’ve been looking for old car photos here’s an interesting car that was in the household for a bit…

This is turning out to be quite an interesting exercise.

3 Likes

I had one of these, a Clan Crusader and mine was two cars newer than this one OPT 440J, the fourth car built . Once the tired 875 cc Imp engine had been replaced by a brand new 998cc Rallye Imp engine it was a little cracker. And the closest I could afford to an Elan. It was conceived as a successor to the Seven , by Paul Hassauer , then a Lotus guy , who subsequently set up Clan . Not a lot of people know that .

2 Likes