How do you rate your NC / MK3 Backbox?

My 2006, 2.0 NC Sport really doesn’t sound like a sports car, I know that an aftermarket exhaust / backbox can make a massive difference, for the better (or worse).

The right sound can completely transform the feeling of a car, make it more fun and feel faster than it is.

I don’t want anything too loud (but louder than stock) , just a nice tone that sounds great when pushed.

I don’t know what to look out for (cobalt seems to get lots of good reviews at a good price but doesn’t seem to be available anymore).

They range in price new from £200 - £800, quite happy to spend £200-£300 or may look for used if the better ones are outside my budget (or no longer available)

Cheers Das.

BBR 185 super… full exhaust system (high flow cated manifold, mid section and GT rear box) + ecu tuning + K&N filter but IMHO well worth the cost.

If you want something like that my suggestion is to save up for it mate.

I went for a Scorpion Cat to back system. You still keep the cat on the exhaust manifold as the scorpion system has a pipe from the exhaust manifold straight back to the 2 uncatted exhausts at the rear.

Btw mine is the high flow with catalyst BBR manifold. I was told that its better (longevity wise if you doing loads of trackdays) to fit the uncated one but you got to make sure the car engine is warm when someone is doing the mot (if thats required) I opted to go with the cated one

Hi mate, I managed to buy (3rd Hand) a Larini back box from another club member late last year. It has absolutely transformed the sound of the car into what now sounds like a proper sports car. It is quite subtle when driving normally, but really sings when you floor it. The best bit for me is there is zero drone, so when cruising on the motorway, it sounds no louder than stock. If you can find one, buy it!

1 Like

Larini make lovely exhausts, if I see one in my budget that would be ideal. (I’ll keep my eyes open, didn’t realise they made one for the MX5)

I have BBR manifold and centre section with Racing Beat Power Pulse rear “silencer”. It’s v loud, especially when warm and at motorway speeds. As a daily, it would be too much for me, especially if on motorway. But as its a weekend car, I can live with it. If I could turn back time, I would probably pick a quieter option, but this could also be an age thing… (5 years on…)

Cobalt….didn’t like it. Off the car after less than a thousand miles.

I am extremely pleased with mine ; (IL motorsport) it’s a bit above your budget (was about 600 eur) but maybe used? It realy is everytyng i was looking for ; not too noisy, nice rumble , some popping, great sound under acceleration and looks good (slash cut pipes)

3 Likes

You can also contemplate a catless header and a sports-catted center pipe with stock backbox. It’s not only an improvement in sound (maybe less so than a dedicated louder backbox) but also in real speed. If you have this you will feel how restrictive the stock system is. I have the IL Motorsports decat header and sports cat center pipe. Though it’s still a lot of money, this is probably your best bet for affordable sound ánd performance improvement.

Soundwise it’s louder but not too loud and I can hear a burble every now and then and, incidentally, a small pop. The annoying whining sound of the engine is gone, probably because the astma is gone :smiley: No droning whatsoever! I can’t hear any difference compared to completely stock on that matter.

Agree the standard exhaust sounds pants , to me anyway, so I fitted a Cobalt backbox and love it, it was a good price at the time , it sounds and looks good but not too in your face, a very light drone on the motorway but nothing that bothers us, you could look out for a second hand one , but there’s other alternatives of course if you brows the internet and YouTube.
Ideally you need to see and hear one in the flesh so to speak ,maybe on another member’s car if at all possible, which might help you decide which one is for you.

Hi, I am a newbie on here. I am preparing a 2.0 Sports NC for track day and thinking of a louder backbox. At the moment, I do not want to go overboard with cost so ruling out full exhaust etc. If me and the son-in-law enjoy the trackdays, then I will go full belt! For now, I am looking at either the MX5parts backbox or slightly cheaper, the Malian. Has anybody used the Malian and if so, is it very loud or acceptably so? Thanks in anticipation. I am in Cheshire BTW

1 Like

I got my Cobalt backbox 2 years ago, but I have heard they are not available now but don’t know the details or how true this is.
I actually looked on Youtube where there are many MX5 owners reviewing their new Backboxes,
If you have a particular brand in mind ,type that in or type in MX5 exhausts or MX5 exhaust reviews and your sure to find some interesting videos.
My son is looking out for an MX5 MK2 himself , and is doing the same thing regarding MK2 aftermarket backboxes

I can tell you the Cobra Road is a very nice sounding backbox on my NC1. The backbox thing is quite personal, ones man’s “nice” is another man’s too quiet or too loud. YouTube ain’t the best place to appreciate the sounds. Get your tushie off to a track day as a spectator/info gatherer and make a call from there …Where you based ?

1 Like

I didn’t want to go too loud and spent a ages on YouTube looking for one.

I went for GWR superQ. You can alter the volume with bolt in baffles. Started with them out and then had a BBR manifold fitted and the volume went up so pop them back in.

A bit more to buy, but I’m pleased.

I went for a Scorpion Cat to back box system. I would recommend it.

I’m Near Derby, I think a visit to curborough next time the mx5’s are there would be ideal , lots to listen to.
( it’s only 15mins from me)

What do you want to achieve? Being a track car I’d assume better power and/or driveability. And for that replacing the header with a better one is the best option. It also gets you better and a bit more sound.

Yep, I would agree but initially, I want to keep to a budget and already done springs, brakes, tyres are good so some left in the kitty. I want to see if the car is faster than me or I am faster than the car before thinking performance mods!!

1 Like

It’s probably faster than you…