How To Guide: Easily remove stuck diff plugs on a Mk1 (may work/be adapted for other models)

So, after a terrible time trying to release either diff plug on my Mk1, utilising plus-gas, rubber mallets, metal hammers (risky I know), spanners and ratchets - and getting absolutely nowhere - I stumbled on a method that worked so I’m posting it here.

Tools Required:

• Extendable Wheel Brace (1/2" socket drive, about £8-10).
  • Small socket extension bar (fouls the silencer if too long, most socket sets come with this).
  • Rubber Mallet.
  • Piece of wood etc. just thicker than a spanner handle (I used the rubber handled spanner pictured).
  • Correct sized socket (not pictured).

Process:

1. Attach the socket to the extension bar, and then attach it to the extendable wheel brace.

2. Attach this whole assembly to the diff plug required.

3. Drainage hole plug: Place your piece of wood/rubber handled spanner under the portion of the wheel brace that rests on the anti-sway bar. I placed my spanner in parallel with the anti-sway bar .

4. Filler hole plug: Place your rubber mallet under the portion of the wheel bar that sits above the anti-sway bar so that it rests on the mallet - did you think we were going to hit things with the mallet? :grin:

5. Make sure the extendable wheel brace is extended in full, and that the handle isn’t resting on the ground (the reason it is in the photo is I took the photo after releasing the stuck plug). Now get out from under the car and brace yourself against the rear quarter/boot.

6. Place a foot in under the car (yes it is a bit of an odd/cramp inducing stretch, especially the filler plug) and rest your foot on the wheel brace handle until you feel you’re stable.

7. Put your best foot forward and let your own weight and gravity release the diff plug(s).