How urgent is P2009 DTC?

1. My model of MX-5 is: Mk3.5 SE
  2. I’m based near: Birmingham
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: DTC P2009

How urgent is DTC P2009 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit low bank 1a? Picked up my new to me Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 from the car dealer yesterday. Took it for a run and it came up with a check engine light which has remained on. Plugged in my Nexpeak OBD scanner which came up with the P2009 in current and pending DTCs. The car is driving fine and as I understand the code from Googling it means that whether from electrical issue, solenoid failure or intake manifold runner sticking the upshot is likely to simply mean higher fuel consumption and reduced performance over 3000rpm. I’ve tried unplugging and plugging back the connectors but no change. The dealer has agreed to take back and fix, but as my other car is with Land Rover awaiting a new steering rack with no fix date, I’m wondering whether it is safe to delay investigation and repair for a few weeks until commitments slacken off a bit. What do the panel think - am I OK to leave it for a while or should I get it fixed now?

2 Likes

I think you will be OK to drive for a while but get the dealer to commit to that decision, just in case.
Here is another thread on this issue that may help.

1 Like

Get the car dealer to give you a loan car . As you only got your mx5 yesterday.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m hoping to get a bit of time to test the solenoids this afternoon and take the car back to the dealer. I’ll let you know how the conversation goes!

So, the dealer has no courtesy cars available, but have confirmed they are happy for me to run the car with this DTC for a couple of weeks to get me through some travel and meetings and the train strike dates, and then they will investigate and fix at their expense (I have this all confirmed). I tested the solenoids and they are getting power, and click when have power applied, but multimeter only shows a bit over 11v in supply to solenoids. I’ve put an Optimate on the battery just to check it’s OK, but car starts well so doubtful battery is the issue.

I’ve just had this come up on mine yesterday. Is there a guide to follow on testing the solenoids anywhere?

Here you go.the electrical test can be carried out in place

1 Like

So, in case anyone finds this on a search in the future, after I did some testing the P2009 code was caused by the intake manifold runner control solenoid bring blocked. The solenoids checked out OK, clicking when power supplied and resistance being in spec. However I couldn’t find any problem with the vacuum lines being holed or disconnected so I disconnected from solenoids and found one was pulling vacuum with engine off, so think it was blocked. Changed both solenoids and the error code has been gone for 200 miles. Saved me a trip back to the dealer and a cheap fix :+1:

3 Likes